Sign in to participate in this discussion.

How Many Items Is -Enough-?

Just wondering if there is a special number of items in your shop where things really took off?

I've had as many as 200 items, and as little as 100, but it seems like those shops with 500+ are really doing great business. Lots of constant sales.

Makes me wonder if it is worth it to list 400 more items to try and hit that point.

(I do have a photography/print shop as well where I have the same amount of items roughly as this one.)

Whats your opinion/experience?

35 Responses

The more items you have the more opportunities buyers have of finding you.
My sales increased once I reached about 200 items. I just listed my 400th item yesterday - I say you can never have too much, as long as your shop is well organized. :)
Wow, since everything I make is handmade by me it takes me forever to create a mini album or altered frame. I do work full time though, and only make my creations at night, so that maybe it. If I could put a full 8 hours a day in my etsy shop, I am sure I would have more items.
Sales were not steady until I got over 120 items in my shop. I am always trying to add more, but since everything I make is time consuming, I find it difficult to keep the quantities up. I have had 2 customers in the last month that bought 15 items between them! That is 2-4+ weeks of work. So my aim is to try and make at least 1 item a day.

The more items you have, the more chance you will be found. So it makes sense to have as much as you can. Although, I have to say, if someone has more than 6 or 7 pages of shop, I lose interest, and am less likely to look closely at what they have. Those supply shops with huge quantities of items really overwhelm me!

I don't think there is really any magic number. I have a friend who makes gorgeous miniature babies. I urged her to open a shop on Etsy. She only put 15 items in her shop, and sold all of them! She had a niche market so it was very successful for her.

We just have to keep plugging away.
all of them!
what lego said

that and....

there is no magic number for anything
LegofromAllegroArts says

"all of them! "

I agree- It sounds like it is beneficial to add more- so I guess thats what I will do. Thank you for your input- I always like to hear about your experiences on here.
Do what is best and sustainable for your business.
500?? I'll be lucky if I ever break 50! I'm at 31 now and that's the most I've ever had.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.