Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

is it rude to ask a seller if their item is handmade?

I have been looking for bags now for many weeks. I've seen some great leather bags but I cant tell for sure if they are handmade. is it rude to ask a seller if they can verify that they produce handmade items?

Its sad that I have to ask. but I have been wrong before. at first i thought its mass manufactured but after some digging it wasn't.

would you be mad if I asked you?

is there a nice way to ask?

68 Responses

I would say go ahead and ask!
I've had people ask me through convos if my swimsuits were handmade. I didnt mind answering them. I got the chance to explain my process, let them know I do everyting and even sent a link to my facebook page with photos of my workshop and machines. I like when they ask...but that is just me, I dont get offended by much :)
I wouldn't be offended unless it stated "handmade" in the listing lol

I actually had someone ask me when I first opened if my products were handmade. I told them yes and immediately added that to my shop title and announcement.

Have you checked their shop about page? I don't use mine but a lot of shops do. Maybe their process is in there? But sure, just ask nicely. "Hey, I was just admiring your bags and I was wondering if you hand make them?" or something ...

But I'd check all their pages (policies, about page, profile, shop, listing, etc) first just to be sure ;)
Wouldn't be offended at all!
ByRoDesigns

You need an about page!. I would love to see it. in fact everyone needs an about page that way I dont need to ask
personally, i wouldn't be mad if you asked me, as long as you asked politely and didn't accuse me of being a reseller. i've been in situations, not on etsy, where people will come up to me and say things like they need to check the stitching on a backpack first to know if i'm selling cheap garbage or not. if they just asked to see the stitching on an item, without all the negative stuff thrown in, i would happily help them and wouldn't feel like i'm on trial.

i would simply ask. keep it short and sweet.
Absolutely not. I wouldn't be offended at all. I appreciate the fact that people are looking to buy only handmade and do a little research to be sure.
I've been looking for a leather handbag here in the handmade and vintage categories and I definitely understand why you would want to ask. However I'm sure if you ask a reseller they will probably just say that yes, their bags are handmade.

ETA: especially since a lot of resellers seem to use "handmade with love" a lot.
I would not be offended at all. I like savvy shoppers. :)

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.