Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

is it rude to ask a seller if their item is handmade?

Show Thread Summary

68 Responses

I think the only ones who would mind are the ones who are reselling.

After having someone sell my designs as their own. I'd appreciate anyone who asks!...

it's like the people who ask for ID for credit card use :) I love them. Yes, please check that it's me using it :) Only fakes care about being called out.
I think most people would not be offended, especially if you turned the question into a compliment. Something like this, ''That bag looks amazing, such great craftmanship, did you hand make all that?''.
I wouldn't be offended at all. I would be more than happy to explain how bead making is done and can even email pics of my studio.
I love getting message from customers no matter what they ask! I think it's great and gets me really excited for a sale. I think you should go for it!
I don't think it's rude to ask if something is handcrafted, at all.
I sell both handcrafted and commercial supplies and occasionally get requests for an alteration of a commercial item, bigger, smaller,etc. I have no problem letting the customer know it's a commercial envelope, metal tag, etc.
Would not be offended. I sell beads but I don't make them, not yet anyways. But when I start learning how to make lampworked glass beads I will be putting that custom made or handmade in my description & maybe in my title.
Beside I THOUGHT Etsy was suppose to be all handmade items except for supplies & vintage.!?
We rather people ask to prove we make them, we can show the process of making of our stuffs step by step in photo.
I see no reason why you couldn't ask...although if someone is a "reseller" they probably wouldn't say it was not a hand made item...:)

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.