Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

How do you manage as a SAHM with an Etsy shop?

Hi! This question is for all of you SAHMs (stay at home mom) out there! I'm transitioning to being at home very soon, and I am wondering how to balance running my shop and being a SAHM. I worry that my shop will be a distraction from my kids, and vice versa! How do you balance?
Translate

61 Responses

a lot better than i did before i quit my day job. or my day job quit me.

i have two choices. work a day job and never see my kid, or do this, and work with him hanging off the back of my neck and putting the remnants of my packaging project in his toy garbage trucks. i choose the latter.

or i guess my third choice, which didnt work out so well, work a day job, and do this, and never see anything above the top of a computer.

Translate
I am in the same boat . Have just started my shop on etsy , I think switching off is most difficult . However , I think in time we will find balance :)
Translate
Hi Clara! I have 2 little boys (one just turned 5 and the other turned 2 in March) and there is just no way for me to mix the 2. I manage by working in the evenings and having the most amazingly supportive husband. Sometimes I have to work later than I should (well, most of the time honestly). For me, I don't design in the day except for their naptime, and occasionally when just the little one is napping as my 5 year old loves drawing next to me while I design. It has been a major metamorphosis for me though... an ever changing dynamic.
Know that there will be days when you feel stressed and days when things go better than you hoped, but no matter what, you can do it. You'll find your way to work things out :) Good luck to you!
Translate
You are right , Jacqueline . The kids do get to see a lot more of you and vice versa :)
Translate
A lot of late nights! I know that my goal is two fold: to build my business to be able to do this exclusively, and to spend as much time with my child as I can. So I work a lot of late nights and during a lot of grandma visits.

I think having a schedule would help too. Certain times for work, like during the day when kids nap, at school, etc., and certain times for family only. I think that would help in making sure those daily tasks of running a business get done, while not forgetting to stop and focus on the family, too.
Translate
Well my kids are 15 and 18 and I have always stayed at home with them, but I can't imagine trying to run this business with little ones in the house. I don't do a very good job of balancing even with the boys being so old. I don't know how you would be able to do it when your kids are young. More power to those who do. It makes me exhausted just thinking about it.
Translate
Such beautiful designs , Rachel !!
Translate
Priya Raj from Peacocksandpaisleys

However , I think in time we will find balance :)

I had to chuckle at this Priya. The longer I do this the deeper in I get. The more the business grows, the less balance I seem to find. Not to discourage anyone, but just wanted to share a little dose of reality. I was considering throwing in the towel just this evening because of the massive amount of time it takes.
Translate
i guess i just never had the option of just being a stay at home mom. i dont even think i would enjoy it at all. not that i dont like being a mom, but i am not the type to not have a goal to work toward, and my own income that i earn..
Translate

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.