Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Are dark/macabre items tougher to sell?

Show Thread Summary

35 Responses

I love your skull prints!

Maybe you should add international shipping, too.
I think that you can sell anything on Etsy. :o)

But I would read up little on SEO. I think that your items will get better found in searches when you change your tittle's. At the beginning of them you should mention whether it is a drawing or a print f.i.
And I agree with Kteis, add international shipping.
I think your work is awesome, and as others have suggested, being more diverse with your titles and tags might help get you found by those who are looking. I would also play up Halloween coming up, when more of the general population is interested in dark themes. Try putting some of your listing under the Geekery-Horror category as well as Fine Art, and see what happens - it's less congested and more your target market.
I'm a little confused with what I see in your store and what you define as macabre.

Let me explain. The drawing figures on the beach, for me, not macabre drawings, are suggestive. While you, so name them, perhaps because you are interested in some way to distinguish yourself from other artists and attract a less saturated market rate.

From that standpoint, I understand that names macabre, what for me is only suggestive or drawing of the dark.

As others have told you before, With the proper SEO, titles, tags, description, etc.. no problem, will attract buyers who like your work and they will buy.

By the way I like your drawings
I actually think that people with products for a special audience/niche sell quite well on Etsy, once they are found.
Of course, promoting at the right places is important as people who just 'stumple upon' those items might be less likely to buy.
@Ana: Thanks for your clarification on what defines "macabre", I will definitely take it under consideration!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.