Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

The USPS grrrrrr!

In the past couple of weeks I have seen a few complaints in the forums about this and this week it happened to me. I took my first sold item to the post office to mail. I pointed out the fact that the item is rigid because I was aware that rigid envelopes get metered at a higher rate, and I didn't want anything to go wrong. Two days later it was back in my mailbox, stamped 'insufficient postage'! ! This is mail that was metered at the counter, by a postal worker, in a United States Post Office! WTH? And it happened on my first sale. I called to complain and got passed around to a few different agents and finally the response I got? "It happens, sometimes." Really? WOW. UPS is looking better all the time. Too expensive. I know. Just venting. I don't think I can fight the USPS.

45 Responses

You won't run into this problem if you print your own labels. You can use PayPal, the USPS website itself, or something like Stamps.com.

It's cheaper to print them online too, than it would be to take them to the PO. That way you can be sure you're getting the right postage (just make sure they're "parcels" as opposed to "letters", and more than 3/4" thick.)

So sorry- I hold my breath every time I send out a package. Even though it's more expensive, I always use priority mail. So far, I haven't had a problem. I hope I didnt jinx myself!
I always put cardboard inside, and "do not bend" stickers on mine, just to re-enforce the idea that it's rigid and non bendable. Plus I really don't want them bent ;-)
I have been issues too. Took a package one time and was charges 2 something for it and the next time was charged 7 something for the same package with the same item in it. UGH!!!!!!!
(just make sure they're "parcels" as opposed to "letters", and more than 3/4" thick.)

-------

3/4" thick OR non-bendable is the rule. It can be 1/4" so long as it's rigid and not bendable.
That's frustrating! I print mine out at home using shipstation.com app and I love the cost savings and time savings. It makes the cost of the app so worth it to me!!!!! It probably isn't worth it until you're selling enough to justify the expense, but once you are making a number of sales it's more than worth it.
It could be that at some point along the way, somebody decided it wasn't rigid and didn't qualify for the parcel rate. Do you use a rigid mailer? If you use mailers that are specifically meant for this, they're more likely to have no trouble.
Lori McKee from loriamckee says

I always put cardboard inside, and "do not bend" stickers on mine, just to re-enforce the idea that it's rigid and non bendable. Plus I really don't want them bent ;-)

=====================================================

When I ship thin books or prints I do the same thing. Write in really large letters "Do Not Bend" so the postal workers get the idea.
Sometimes I think it's just the luck of the draw as to which postal employee handles your package...newbie, bad hair day, fight with hubby, etc, lol!

I've had some very odd things come back to me for no valid reason that I could see, or worse yet, get to the buyer with postage due for a priority upgrade because the package wasn't thick enough. pita ;)

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.