Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Minimizing Etsy Expenses

Being relatively new, I would like to have anyone's take on how to keep from paying more in expenses than I am making. I intend to do shows at outdoor events, etc. but I would like to think there are "best practices" that more experienced Etsians have learned, if they care to share. Thanks.

14 Responses

i have never paid more that i was making here. no where close. so i am not sure what you are asking.

that said, like any new business there are start up costs and expenses.
Don't get caught up in the "renew,renew,renew", type of thinking.
I'm not sure how much help I would be but I'll try, I invested thousands of dollars to start up, it took alot of expensive wire and cabochons and time to make enough stock to do shows and have a full shop online. I would EXPECT to have to invest to start up.

Now that I'm up and running it's much easier. I buy shipping materials in bulk to save, and have streamlined creating and order filling for made to order items. My days are pretty well laid out to the minute as I also have 2 part time jobs to do, I have to have great time management so that neither my shops, jobs, pets, house or fiancee suffer.

My expenses now are etsy and paypal fees, and supplies, but supplies are a manner of just ordering whatever I am low on, and not a matter of having to buy a whole lot of wire to create a new line so that I will have sufficient samples to take photos of. That sort of thing is still a significant expense.
Those little paintings are awesome and adorable! So much detail on a tiny canvas! I have a suggestion: use one photo slot to show maybe a wall arrangement with those little guys. Like how a creative display of 5 of them above a desk might look.
Pay fees only to list, and to sell. Don't bother with ads or renewing. Do your own marketing and you'll get a much better return. Simple things like redoing your photos can have a much bigger impact on your sales than putting out money.
I'm not sure if you mean minimizing expenses just here, or in general, so I'll respond a little to both.
Here, I only renew items when they are about to expire, I do not take out any ads, and prefer to use my time to work on improving SEO. Therefore my fees are relatively low....renewals and new listings and the percentages from sales.

I do a lot of craft shows, and I am careful to make sure that the shows I do have a reasonable booth fee that I know I can recoup with sales at the show, and hopefully make a decent profit. This "judgement" comes from visiting shows and experience over the years doing them. I know how much I need to sell in order to make a profit, and I only do shows where I am fairly confident I can do that.
Along with what anythinggoes says, here are ways to keep your Etsy expenses down:

1. Don't rely on renewing for exposure.
Put your time and effort into learning about how the Etsy search works.

2. Don't buy Search Ads.
Put your time and effort into learning about how the Etsy search works.

3. Don't put any money or effort into promotion until you have put massive time and effort into product presentation.

LOL, CopperLeaf said it better than I!
Ha, I was just thinking the same thing about your post! THIS, in a nutshell:

>3. Don't put any money or effort into promotion until you have put massive time and effort into product presentation.
>

which incidentally, is very similar to doing shows. If you don't have the product & displays, it isn't worth getting into the best show in the world.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.