Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

New "medical drug claims about an item" policy

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 5:01 pm Aug 9, 2012 EDT edited
Is anyone else affected by the new Etsy policy changes? I need to go through some 50 or more listings to change them so they met the new "medical drug claims about an item" policy. under the new policy updates it says" A medical drug claim makes a correlation between a product and the cure or relief of a health condition or illness. In many cases, an item itself is not problematic, but the way it is presented with certain language is against this policy. "

So the product is fine I just can't say what it is used for,lol. I know that is not exactly what it says but it is feeling that way to me. SO now I need to change near a quarter of my listings or remove them. And will I get reimburse for the 55 listings if I remove them.... it looks like a big fat NO. So yes it is only 10 or 11 bucks but still it burns me.

This is really frustrating because how am I going explain the use of a salve or even an aromatherapy eye pillow with out making the claim that it aids in healing wounds(for the salve) or it helps relax and helps relieve from migraines(the aromatherapy eye pillows)?

1 Highlighted Response

vicki dodge from dreamingawayx says

are you able to just describe it in terms of what some cultures have used it for? and what is is perceived to typically improve. so something like, it is widely believed this item is used to cure this ailment/for this purpose. because that's not really saying much about the item apart from facts about different cultural/historical beliefs... x

======

Per the policy, medical drug claims are not allowed. This includes historical, folklore or "time-tested" claims that make a correlation between the product and the cure or relief of a health condition or illness.

28 Responses

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 6:12 pm Aug 9, 2012 EDT
I am thinking I am the only one with an issue in this matter.....
I've seen some people say the product is traditionally used for this, or it is rumored to do that, and then point out that the statements are not FDA approved. Also, saying that a particular herb is soothing for the eyes is not a medical claim as far as I know, but pointing to it as a cure for something is. Good luck.
This is regarding Bath and body products?
You are not the only one and this is not Etsy's policy. This is the FDA (Federal Drug Administration)'s policy. Etsy is just compling with laws that are already in place.

So you can say basically/plainly what the product does, but you cannot make any claims that it cures or prevents medical problems/issues.

For example, I have a bath & body oil that I can say moisturizes skin. Because that is what it does/that's what it's made for. I cannot say it helps those with ezcema or skin problems.

Hope that helps!
I never understood making medical claims without having research to back it up. If you're going to say a salve helps with x or y, you should have solid research to prove it, not just anecdotal evidence. I was big into science before I started crafting though.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 6:19 pm Aug 9, 2012 EDT
are you able to just describe it in terms of what some cultures have used it for? and what is is perceived to typically improve. so something like, it is widely believed this item is used to cure this ailment/for this purpose. because that's not really saying much about the item apart from facts about different cultural/historical beliefs... x
I suggest reading this thread: www.etsy.com/teams/7718/site-help/discuss/10732251/page/28

There is a lot of information from both admin and sellers. Good luck! :-)
If you make a claim and I buy your product and it doesn't cure or improve my "condition" that you are claiming it is suppose to fix, then it is false advertising and you can be sued. Even more so because it is not proven and tested.

Unless you have solid research, proof, and evidence of these claims, you cannot make them. This is why the law is in place so that these things do not happen and people don't go sue-crazy.
"I never understood making medical claims without having research to back it up"

But there are several studies out there for say, Lavender. It's been proven to do certain things but because these studies were not performed and accredited by drug companies (for example) or approved by the FDA, they don't count. It's unfortunate. I had to take down some listings already because citing studies and proof, don't matter. The drug companies are going to get their way in this matter with the FDA.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.