Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Glass VS. Plastic VS. Tins for skincare & edibles

Hi dolls :)
So my question to you is what do you like better for (organic) skin care & teas...

#1 PLASTIC jars - Food grade (fair shipping costs & safe to ship)
#2 GLASS jars- Food grade (more expensive shipping costs & more fragile)
#3 for TEAS only ~ in food safe compostable bags (and possibly boxed in a nice paper box)
# 4 for TEAS & SKIN CARE ~ Metal Tins

Here's the deal... basically all of the above have their benefits & depending on who you are talking to or reading, some are more Eco friendly than others. My goal for my shop (www.BloomAndBerry.etsy.com) is to offer the most pure & natural products... organic & without preservatives (they are dried products so preservatives are not needed) ... & to offer the safest, most eco friendly packaging! Currently, after researching & lots of consideration I have chosen to go with plastic... but after further research I am reconsidering, but of course there are always other considerations that come that! Any words of wisdom, suggestions, recommendations, likes, dislikes would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for all the detail, just want to give you a complete background where I am coming from & wondering if packaging is as important to others as it is to me regarding safety, convenience, & of course beauty :) Thanks for your time!
Blessings to you all :)

19 Responses

Skin care & edibles = glass
Tea = metal tin

Good luck with your shop, looks amazing!
@ LaECLECTICa thanks for your feedback :) ... I like those ideas! Thanks doll :)
@ LaECLECTICa .. I hope you dont mind, I just "pinned" one of your GORGEOUS necklaces on Pinterest :)
I would truly love some feedback... anyone have a moment ?
Thanks & Blessings
Glass has class, however some quality plastics come close to emulating a similar value. Problem is plastics are not perceived as being as eco-friendly, so you'll have to deal with that.

Teas are fine in metal tins, but the idea of skin care products in contact with metal sets me on edge. I think is has to do with metal rusting, eroding, and possibly getting absorbed into the product. Glass doesn't have that effect.

Good luck with your choices.

I like the idea of tins...I have a few products in them and I don't recall anything rusting. Plastic might be ok, but it has the tendency to leach into products so you have to be really careful about what kind you use.

Glass is nice, and classy, but it would have to be a really unique product, and wrapped very carefully, for me to even consider having something mailed to me in it. Of course, if its glass mason jars we're talking about then that's different. They can translate to many different types of products, look earthy, and as far as I know are pretty sturdy.
Thanks guys for your educated & thoughtful feedback :) ... Thats why Etsy & its sellers are so great!
Blessings
i prefer tins, then glass and try to avoid plastic altogether. i've read articles and studies where a company claims they're selling bpa free plastic containers, but are coating their plastic products with other harmful chemicals. unless i knew for sure that the plastic you were using were definitely safe, i wouldn't feel comfortable buying it.
Thanks ruthkim ! I hear ya! ... the more you learn the more limited you are but for good reasons... that is why I am reconsidering & want to confirm I am not totally over thinking the whole "plastics" thing. I pretty much know I WANT to change but need to make better choices that are the most friendly for our health, the environment, but also considering our pocketbooks! Thanks doll :) ... its looking like glass & tins it is! ... but of course more feedback & opinions are greatly appreciated!
Blessings

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.