Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Update On Weddings

Well wedding peeps - it appears that the Wedding Category is here to stay.

----------

•Members who begin their Etsy visit in the Weddings experience are significantly more likely to make a purchase compared to those who begin shopping from the old category experience.

•Shoppers are spending 21% more time browsing the new Weddings pages than pages in the old Weddings category.

•Just as many shops are selling wedding items since launch as they were prior to the Weddings change.

•More people are browsing — visits to the new Weddings experience are 37% higher than the old category, without counting additional traffic from our homepage promotional banner.

---------------

I would just like to note, OF COURSE shoppers are spending 21% more time browsing. It takes twice as long to load half the amount of items!!

1 Highlighted Response

Laura avatar Admin
Hi,

This thread started out with a comment from CherryHills about the data points shared in the Weddings Update.(a) There were some additional comments about the data too so I thought it would be helpful to add further clarification. I also want to note that it’s in Etsy’s best interest and yours that we share factual data. While we are unable to release all of our metrics to the community, we do make an effort to be as transparent as we can be and truthful in all cases.

--

* Data point: Members who begin their Etsy visit in the Weddings experience are significantly more likely to make a purchase compared to those who begin shopping from the old category experience.

Matt and Jill Beaudoin from MysticKnotwork said:
“That doesn't mean they actually did buy, and if they bought, was the value of what they bought higher or lower than last year.”

Clarification:
When we wrote that ‘people are significantly more likely to make a purchase’ we were comparing the old Weddings category to the new Weddings browse experience. This does in fact mean that more people are buying, as a percentage of visits, in the new Weddings browse experience. This is good! Additionally, the average wedding item value in a purchase has increased.

--

* Data point:
Shoppers are spending 21% more time browsing the new Weddings pages than pages in the old Weddings category.

CherryHills from CherryHills said:
“I would just like to note, OF COURSE shoppers are spending 21% more time browsing. It takes twice as long to load half the amount of items!!”

* Clarification:
In general, an increase in time on site represents success. When viewing experiment results, we're generally pleased to see increases in this metric. Decreases give us pause. But rest assured we're always looking at the interplay in a variety of metrics to better understand behavioral changes that may be taking place. For example, if people were spending more time on a Weddings page, but viewing fewer items and making fewer purchases, we may not make the same conclusions.

---

* Data point: Just as many shops are selling wedding items since launch as they were prior to the Weddings change.

Matt and Jill Beaudoin from MysticKnotwork said:
“Just as many shops selling' is a negative since new shops are opening every day, but the number actually making the sale is level. If we have 100 sellers and 10 sell but then add another 100 sellers but still have only 10 succeed...that is really REALLY bad..”

* Clarification:
This data point refers to the year over year trend. Even with more sellers, the overall percentage of shops selling wedding items is the same. There are in fact more unique shops selling wedding items in the new Weddings browse experience than in the old Wedding category, however, the rate of growth year over year - which continues to be positive - remains unchanged.

--

We’ll continue to look through the feedback we receive about the Weddings browse pages under Forums > Ideas. I'm not able to respond directly to each piece of feedback or question, but our team is spending time reviewing and considering them so we can continue to make improvements.

Thank you,
Laura

(a) www.etsy.com/blog/news/2012/path-to-discovery-weddings-and-beyond/

91 Responses

I would also like to note that in my opinion, there are more people "browsing" the new wedding category - because Etsy is promoting the heck out of it! There were even *paid* google ads promoting it for several weeks. I would not call that a fair accessment, UNLESS they were promoting the category in the same way BEFORE the change over.
*applause* I so agree!
I have to agree. Also, I noticed they said they added a lot of content to the category - perhaps the additional time "browsing" is actually the time people are taking to read content where before there were only listings?
WeeEssentials - YES. And really, I am not sure spending more TIME in that labyrinth is a good thing. It could mean they are not finding what they are looking for because the "experience" is so ridiculous to navigate.
I have to wonder - if it truly worked so well with showing only a few hundred listings, why did they up it to 10,000?
tfs. can you share where we can view stats on the category? thanks!
I'm still on the fence about it.
Wanda from VintageAndVictorian says
I have to wonder - if it truly worked so well with showing only a few hundred listings, why did they up it to 10,000?

-----------

My guess if because it really wasn't working. But they will never admit it.
I thought this was a really weird update. The positives aren't all that positive.

"Just as many shops are selling wedding items since launch as they were prior to the Weddings change." -- isn't the total number of shops here increasing from month to month? So if the total number of shops increases, but the number of shops selling weddings items stays the same.. you do the math.

I think that after all that promotion - the Weddings banner, the Google ads, etc - they can't report an increase in sales, it is bad news.

Plus, what does it even mean? I have a necklace and a pair of earrings I categorized as "Weddings" just to see if they would ever show up in the category (they don't, and won't, ever). So what? They haven't sold!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.