Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Social Networking Not Driving Sales to Online Marketplaces

I wonder if Etsy was one of the 5 who reported results? Ebay & Amazon did not.

www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y12/m09/i10/s01

The most any reported was 1%, from FaceBook, and 0.5% from Pinterest.

Whatever, perhaps it's time for the top folk to rethink social-network-driven e-commerce!

48 Responses

Very interesting!!!!
I don't bother with them. I tried, didn't really get it, so I stopped. I rather take the time to make new pieces for my shop than networking.
I'm not on Pinterest or Facebook currently, but gosh....I gotta think that they drive a lot of sales to many shops, right????
Well, I know for a fact I have gotten sales from social media platforms. My most successful platform is tumblr.
"I think that sellers' time is usually going to be better spent optimizing for Google Shopping, exporting to Craigslist, or otherwise spending their efforts getting their items optimized for channels explicitly designed for ecommerce."

This has always been my feeling on the idea of social networking.

Thanks for posting Runz.
I am thinking it depends on the shop & the marketing (people just posting links to Twitter are unlikely to get many sales from them; people engaging with an audience probably do better).

Plus, the better known the platform, the more traffic it drives via name alone.
And I've gotten one sale from facebook.

That would be 1% of my sales since I've had a page there.

I've heard that some people who do heavy marketing have got it a little better, but I can't see spamming all the time! I've hidden the posts of some friends who post too much of their stuff -- and I know that my friends would do that to me. And I think some of the social networking might be better for those with stand-alone websites and a smaller, focused market who already like them on FB. The group most likely to shop that website.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 11:27pm Sep 9, 2012 EDT
I'm big on using twitter and facebook. But I think how you market is key. A lot of times I try to get my tweets/posts retweeted/shared by ppl with a large following. It's instant exposure and it's how I've been driving a lot of traffic to my shop.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 11:29pm Sep 9, 2012 EDT
I agree, Cindy, engaging with the audience is important! I know that some e-sellers (like Beth, from blackphoenixalchemylab) get a lot of repeat customers by communicating with them on twitter and facebook and staying on the radar (and just being lovely in general).

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.