Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Space Saving Tips

What are your best space saving tips?

My family and I are moving from a tiny (930 sq ft) house into an even smaller (600 sq ft) apartment. In our current house, my studio is the spare bedroom, which is tiny, but works just fine. In our new space I will have a corner. I'm also awful at organizing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to maximize the limited space I have? For studio and/or living area?

32 Responses

Work up. Use your vertical space.
Take a look at my about page, I live in a one bedroom apt, and all of my stuff is basically on one wall. It's not pretty, but it works.
Katy do you live near stores that provide the supplies you need? If you do, you may want to consider not keeping to many of your supplies at home.
How about renting a studio? I'm renting a conservatory at my mothers house until my shed is built. Its going to be insulated and will have a power supply. I have a corner at home, but it isn't enough for me. You could rent a studio with another artist to save on costs.
Thanks weezie, that's definitely something I'm keeping in mind.

Nicole, you have even more "stuff" than I do! Your workspace looks like mine right now... organized chaos. But if it works, it works. :)

Bridgett, I actually have to order all of my supplies, tools, etc online. My supplies don't take up a huge amount of space, since pretty much everything I use is under 1" diameter. It's the tools that need some help. I just can't find a way to organize them so they are accessible, not in the way, and look somewhat neat.

I just don't want a work bench that looks like a tornado hit because it is going to be in our main living space and will drive me absolutely crazy if it isn't neat.
@Katy: UGH, I'm in the living room too, which bites. But you'd be surprised, I have a system. . . .

. . . .wait, isn't that what all hoarders say?

ETA: Go type "organized workspace" or "small work space organization tips" into google and them look at the image results, that'll give you some ideas too.
Donna, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the reason we're moving is because our house is being foreclosed on and we have barely enough money for groceries, let alone renting a space. I also have two sons to keep an eye on while I work... I'm sure other artists would rather not have a 4 year old and a 6 year old running around while they try to concentrate. That does sound great though. Best of luck with your new space. :)
Use up your supplies before you build up.

Unless it is something you know you're going to use constantly, save your money and wait until you need it.

The only things I build up are yarn, soap base, and leather. I can't knit, make soap, or do leather-working without them.
Nicole... that literally made me lol. I'm in the living right now and looked up to see packed boxes, flattened boxes and my kids' clothes all over the place. (Switching out summer clothing, always a pain) And don't worry, I don't have a problem any more than you do

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.