Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Accessories for iPhone Discover Page

Show Thread Summary

66 Responses

Amy Kinsch from AKDlampwork says

I don't understand the double standards. People can make covers to fit an iphone and title/tag it "fits iphone" however I can't title/tag my beads "fits pandora".

Apple has rules in their trademark and copyright for compatible products because they have the expectation that third parties will make accessories for them. The rules are pretty simple: you cannot claim to be endorsed by apple, you must show the item in a good light towards the apple product and brand, and it must be compatible with that product.
Fern from fernfiddlehead says
Laura -- I like the banner and am pretty excited about the iPhone 5 as I hope to upgrade to one as soon as my old LG expires.

This is a side question but one I've been asking in other forum threads, in particular the one started by Julian about Marketplace Integrity. Is there any way the two teams, marketing and MIT, can work together to prevent resellers from grabbing up prime feature spots such as this one? It appears that the marketing team is just completely unaware that the shops that are often featured are resellers. Do you have any comments on that?

--
Hi Fern,
Good question. Even though the teams - Marketing and MITS - have a separate name and main focus - we work very closely together. Part of everyone’s role here is to inform the rest of the company about what we’re working on and share the knowledge we have on different topics.

In the case of the new Accessories for iPhone destination, these 2 teams (and others) are collaborating. We made the decision as a group that it would be beneficial for Etsy and Etsy sellers if we promoted accessories for iPhone to shoppers during a time that they’re looking for them more than ever. The MITS team works to ensure that all of the shops and items listed on Etsy meet our policies. That includes any destination we’re promoting. When we feature certain items in homepage banners or in this case too, the landing page for the Accessories for iPhone destination, we ensure we’re selecting items that meet our policies. It’s not beneficial for Etsy to promote items that aren’t meeting our policies. If you see an item anywhere on Etsy that you think may not meet our criteria for what can be sold, please feel free to use our site-wide flagging tool.

Thanks,
Laura
...cause iphone accessories are way more important than art category?
It's really quite mind boggling, until you realize that it's all about the $$$$$$.

Once you come to that realization, you won't be surprised by, or disappointed in, anything Etsy does anymore...try it.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 6:22pm Sep 20, 2012 EDT
Would be great if it was actually handmade iphone accessories like those that I sell and some other posted above. But it is extremely disappointing to scroll through page after page of factory made junk that you can buy at the little kiosk at the mall.
nodsu from nodsu says
...cause iphone accessories are way more important than art category?

----
Hi Nodsu,
We don't think that certain types of shops and items are more important than others. We love Art too. We've typically reserved the banner at the top of the homepage to promote types of items that are topical, seasonal, trending, of current interest to shoppers, etc. This space is intended to change frequently for new visitors and for repeat visitors. And our strategy will change as the marketplace and shopper behavior evolves too.

It sounds like you’re comparing this temporary Accessories for iPhone destination to some of the experiments we’re running on Etsy that only a small number of visitors are seeing. Both are part of a larger initiative to provide better ways for shoppers to browse items. However, one is still an experiment and I can't comment on future plans while we're still gathering data and member feedback.

Thanks,
Laura
Thanks for your response, Laura.
All I know is I created an iPhone accessory treasury 3 days ago and it wasn't on the FP! Bummer that Etsy stole my idea. :)
Joanna from gothicreations says
I don't understand the worry about iphone accessories being promoted as a lure for resellers. I mean any promoted trend or item has the potential of resellers not just iPhone accessories or things related to tech gadgets.

====

Well, recently I accidently stumbled onto the tip of the iceberg for reseller iphone cases. I thought -- how retro, a wooden iphone case! And, while I saw many unique and creative cases of wood, I saw and flagged 13 sellers of the identical cases, many using identical photos. 11 are gone as of yesterday, when I checked again as I saw more of the identical cases under Discover iphone -- the same pictures form the other flagged resellers. I will say I was pleased that only 2 remained, but was saddened and chagrined to see more take their place. And just a click away and highllghted.

And that's just the wooden ones. The hard cases, so-called embellished ones -- the same duplicate pictures are rampant. Who knew??!!! I surely didn't.

I understand the idea behind having it on Discover, since the roll-out of the new is a big media and pre-selling and sales event. But...the OP is right, that nexus -- the iphone -- is huge in the reseller market for accessories, as is evident by the thousands of sellers on ebay, taobao, and alibaba. Etsy MIT needs to be extra vigilant when the showcase such a nexus, and especially careful what they curate. Yup...there they were.
Laura from lauramhood says

The MITS team works to ensure that all of the shops and items listed on Etsy meet our policies. That includes any destination we’re promoting. When we feature certain items in homepage banners or in this case too, the landing page for the Accessories for iPhone destination, we ensure we’re selecting items that meet our policies. It’s not beneficial for Etsy to promote items that aren’t meeting our policies.
_______

Landing page maybe (although I question this as well not necessarily in this specific feature but finds emails, etc.) but as soon as one clicks on the featured items many times one is taken to a sea of (as others have said in this thread) factory-made stuff. As I'm sure you're aware, it's so frustrating for most of us non resellers. I'm happy and appreciative that you have taken the time to reply here and I also hope that etsy will find a better way to solve this dilema.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.