Discussions

This topic has been closed.

IPhone accessories but no Art. Really Etsy??

Really??? Like we need to be kicked when we're down?

How much begging do we artists have to do? How many of us have to post depressing figures? How much income do we have to lose???

STOP SCREWING WITH MY PAYCHECK ETSY. END THE TEST.

4 Highlighted Responses

Hi! What you're referring to here are two separate phenomena.

With regards to the Art category, It sounds like you’re referring to some of the experiments we’re running on Etsy that a small number of visitors are seeing.

The Accessories for iPhone destination is not part of those experiments and instead has been launched to everyone for a short length of time. For those of you seeing different experiments, you may notice the Accessories for iPhone destination has a similar design and structure. This is not a coincidence, as both are part of a larger initiative to provide better ways for shoppers to browse items.

However, since many of these experiments are still running, it’s too early for us to comment on future plans.
Hi NatureVisions,

The main Accessories for iPhone landing page features items curated by Etsy Admin. The items are based on popular themes and trends, are intended to provide inspiration and ideas to shoppers, and represent different browsing sections within Accessories for iPhone.
To the question of why we decided to create this destination:

There’s been a lot of excitement about the new iPhone 5, so we’re using this opportunity to let shoppers know about all the unique, handmade mobile accessories you can find on Etsy.

We created a temporary destination that features accessories for the new iPhone 5 as well as other devices. We’ll evaluate how effective it is in inspiring shoppers to find items on Etsy. If it's successful, we may create other temporary browsing destinations throughout the year as we aim to bring more shoppers to Etsy.
Erica and Nancy from NatureVisions says

Thank you for answering, Rob. I understand the desire to curate, and do realize that clicking on it doesn't lead to that particular item, but it does feature the seller's name and does give unfair additional exposure to some, imho. However, I know that won't change so won't bother to complain.

======

Let me point out that the items displayed within the sections and subsections are not curated. Instead, our system automatically displays item results from multiple, relevant searches. I hear what you're saying, though.

50 Responses

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 2:50 pm Sep 20, 2012 EDT
I don't do art, but I agree, this is a huge slap in the face. Because supporting a stupid cell phone that will be obsolete in a week is more important than the artists?
are they keeping art in the categories though?
I wouldn't have a problem with the iPhone cases (me and many photographers make them) BUT most of those cases are not original and not handmade :(
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 2:54 pm Sep 20, 2012 EDT
"are they keeping art in the categories though?"

Well, not with the test no. It isn't on the front page, and it is in home and garden

But don't worry, you can buy supplies for your overpriced slave made phone right on the front page in its own category.
Michele - in the "test" they are running, they have eliminated art as a top level category and opted to hide it under home and garden. There are threads all over the forums from artists who have lost significant income from this test, and we have not been told when they will end it.

Now we see IPhone accessories prominently at the top of the page.

I'm sorry, but what the hell Etsy??
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 2:56 pm Sep 20, 2012 EDT
Meh. Art isn't any more important than the other removed categories. Though those of us anti Apple people are rolling our eyes at the iphone link ;-)

Does it suck that they're gone? yes. I like the sleek look. I think there should just be 3. "supplies" "handmade" "vintage".
Then once you click them, you get the full categories in that section.

It would solve all the complaining. (ok it probably wouldn't, but it would help)
Hi! What you're referring to here are two separate phenomena.

With regards to the Art category, It sounds like you’re referring to some of the experiments we’re running on Etsy that a small number of visitors are seeing.

The Accessories for iPhone destination is not part of those experiments and instead has been launched to everyone for a short length of time. For those of you seeing different experiments, you may notice the Accessories for iPhone destination has a similar design and structure. This is not a coincidence, as both are part of a larger initiative to provide better ways for shoppers to browse items.

However, since many of these experiments are still running, it’s too early for us to comment on future plans.
@Erin

Exactly! Maybe it was just lucky, but upon looking at the cases, the one I clicked on landed me on a shop with high sales but very poor feedback, most were complaints it was just a printed out imaged literally taped to a cheap case!

Even more bothersome, most of the customers that left negative feedback, also included that they would not be back to Etsy to ever buy again!

I know it will never be done, but I wish Etsy would at least look into a little bit before featuring shops like that!

Art is the 4th largest category on Etsy. Sorry, but that should denote some sort of importance.

Handmade, vintage, and supplies, sure. I could work with that.

But this? No.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.