Close

Discussions

This topic has been closed.

IPhone accessories but no Art. Really Etsy??

Show Thread Summary

50 Responses

"We're not going to change anything that doesn't improve the overall experience "

Well, from the sounds of it, not just from the artists, but the buyers who have posted in the forums, removing art from the front page HAS changed things, and it wasn't an improvement.

So now what?
OMG, accessories for iphones. I know it is hard to believe, but everyone does not own an iphone and why so specific to a brand. Something smells.
To the question of why we decided to create this destination:

There’s been a lot of excitement about the new iPhone 5, so we’re using this opportunity to let shoppers know about all the unique, handmade mobile accessories you can find on Etsy.

We created a temporary destination that features accessories for the new iPhone 5 as well as other devices. We’ll evaluate how effective it is in inspiring shoppers to find items on Etsy. If it's successful, we may create other temporary browsing destinations throughout the year as we aim to bring more shoppers to Etsy.
However some of the sections really highlight mass produced and copyright infringing items if you want to report them :)

I was just noticing that!!
Jaie Johnson from dirtygirldesigns says

"We're not going to change anything that doesn't improve the overall experience "

Well, from the sounds of it, not just from the artists, but the buyers who have posted in the forums, removing art from the front page HAS changed things, and it wasn't an improvement.

So now what?

It's not just artists and buyers, either. Plenty of other categories were removed.
"Plenty of other categories were removed."

Yep, mine of "Geekery", then Ceramics, Embroidery, and oh, about 40 others.

But to then turn around highlight this stupid phone for "handmade" items, is nonsense. Out of 100, maybe 1 might be actually handmade and that's because the seller slapped a sticker on it his little ol' self.
No iphone here. Clam Shell prepaid. Hardly use it. Should I get one of these "smart" phones? I'm not complaining people somehow are finding my shop all of the sudden.

As to the reseller question I bet the Marketplace integrity will have a great time with Iphone accesories.
GoTo from GoTo says

VictoriaCampDesigns says
I saw it too.. and now it's gone (the banner.) When I first saw it, I secretly wished there was a little "x" on the corner to close the banner, because I do not have an iphone. ;)

~~~There's still the link in the sidebar, no?

--

Banner's back, and now I see the side-bar link, too. (I'm not sure if the side-bar link was being shown to me when the banner wasn't there.. didn't look for that!)
I love my iPhone. And yes, there are ones that are by resellers, but I've seen some gorgeous handmade cases.

There is sooo much hype, that it makes sense for Etsy to try to gain some of that traffic. The phone accessories market is multi-billion dollar market and with a new phone, there's going to be tons of new shopping for cases. It makes sense that Etsy's trying to cash in on that.

But I do agree, this kinda sucks for those who had their categories removed.
Is etsy in Apple's Pocket?

Don't see the same kind of stuff for Samsung products

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.