Discussions

This topic has been closed.

Alibaba Makes It Easier for Etsy Members To Report Suspected Intellectual Property Violations

Hi All,

If you are an intellectual property rights owner and believe certain listings on Alibaba infringe upon your intellectual property rights, you can quickly and easily report this to Alibaba through a new and streamlined process just for Etsy members.

Alibaba reached out to us after hearing your concerns especially those voiced on the Forums. It's very important to them that they can continue to help you and support your requests. Alibaba has been extremely helpful and they've kept us informed about a process that they've been working on specific to Etsy sellers. We're happy that they can share it with you today.

An Alibaba rep will join this forum post soon to explain the steps you can take to use their intellectual property protection tool, AliProtect, to request take downs of infringing listings.

Thanks,
Julian

1 Highlighted Response

At Alibaba, we take intellectual property rights (IPR) seriously. We have invested in a system called AliProtect to help rights owners protect their treasured creations and report IPR violations to us.

As Julian noted in his post above, we have been working hard with the folks from Etsy to develop an easier and more streamlined process for members to report suspected intellectual property theft on Alibaba.com.

The first part of making the process simpler is that we no longer require a copy of your personal identity document for AliProtect reports. Instead of a personal ID, we simply ask that you provide a copy of your business card, or screen shots of your Etsy shop showing your full name. Second, we no longer require an IPR registration number.

It’s easy to use our new AliProtect procedures. Step-by-step instructions just for Etsy members are here (a .pdf document): bit.ly/S5LOT3.

If you have any questions on how to use AliProtect, please send us a direct message to “AlibabaRep.” You may also contact our U.S. customer service at 1-888-983-1688 or by email at smallbizhelp@service.alibaba.com.

Best regards,

Mark Story
Director, International Corporate Affairs
Alibaba Group

150 Responses

That's awesome!
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 10:12am Nov 19, 2012 EST
Good to know, thanks!
At Alibaba, we take intellectual property rights (IPR) seriously. We have invested in a system called AliProtect to help rights owners protect their treasured creations and report IPR violations to us.

As Julian noted in his post above, we have been working hard with the folks from Etsy to develop an easier and more streamlined process for members to report suspected intellectual property theft on Alibaba.com.

The first part of making the process simpler is that we no longer require a copy of your personal identity document for AliProtect reports. Instead of a personal ID, we simply ask that you provide a copy of your business card, or screen shots of your Etsy shop showing your full name. Second, we no longer require an IPR registration number.

It’s easy to use our new AliProtect procedures. Step-by-step instructions just for Etsy members are here (a .pdf document): bit.ly/S5LOT3.

If you have any questions on how to use AliProtect, please send us a direct message to “AlibabaRep.” You may also contact our U.S. customer service at 1-888-983-1688 or by email at smallbizhelp@service.alibaba.com.

Best regards,

Mark Story
Director, International Corporate Affairs
Alibaba Group
Hi Mark,

OUR photos are all over Aliexpress, &we have documentation that the shops on Aliexpress are giving their customers permission to use these stolen photos! When I attempt to report this on AliProtect, a dropdown box asks me to Choose IPR. When I try to select something, there is nothing to select, but I can't get past that drop down box. It stops me from from submitting my claim
Hi again Mark,

The telephone # doesn't get me to a live person, the link is misleading and prevents me from filing a complaint, and my convos to Pamela at Alibaba Rep aren't being acknowledged. Shame on you for misleading us to think that our STOLEN property could be taken out of the hands of thieves.
Same problem here! I tried everything but the copies of my products are still in there...they even used a picture where you can see my face :-( filing reports does not help, I just get an email saying that "the reported listing(s) is / are not prohibited and controlled item(s) under our Product Listing Policy. " And the email smallbizhelp@service.alibaba.com does not exist. This is just so SAD.
This is a nightmare. The instructions Mark posted don't help, he doesn't work at Alibaba anymore, the email doesn't work, the phone number doesn't work. Etsy, we need your help facilitating protecting ourselves. Otherwise our original artwork on Etsy is just there for the picking by Alibaba ripoffs.
I've tried for years to get my images removed with no result. So, no, based on my actual experience they don't make it easier and nothing comes of the reports.
I haven't found it easy either. It's a tedious and difficult process. Most sites require a simple DMCA but not alibaba or aliexpress. It's the most difficult process I've encountered.
Definitely a step in the right direction. Thanks!
nice
That is awesome...thanks for sharing!!
great news.. Im off to send some notes@
Thank you. I have had my pictures taken and had the company remove them. Nice to know I can go thru you. Diane
Thank you!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.