Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Microbusiness failure article at Atlantic

This is a link for an Atlantic magazine article on microbusiness failure. It mentioned etsy. They also mentioned that it can only succeed if it scales up. I, like many at etsy, are not willing to scale up. It's either a hobby or a money loosing home based business. Either way, it clarifies some things for me.

www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/12/think-twice-before-quitti...

169 Responses

so you can either be a hobby or a money losing home base business?
i beg to differ
I am none of those...
The article tells us nothing new.
It is true that just a small percentage of small retail shops (that includes most Etsy shops) make it.
It has always been like that.
Everyone can start a shop (especially on Etsy), but not everyone has got what it takes to make that shop a (lasting) success.
You need talent (both creative and business), skills, time and a lot of perceverance.
And it is a more than fulltime job, so don't go for it because you think it will give you more time with, for instance, your children. (Although the one advantage is that you can decide which hours you work.)
Harsh reality. And true.
thank you for sharing the link. very thought provoking article. loved all the comments too.
Great article, and is spot on with my thinking I've had in this Etsy business from the beginning. In order to get to the point to where I am profitable, I will have to work for YEARS taking a loss, investing in my business and working way beyond your typical 9-5 work schedule.

I work every day. Even weekends. I don't get sick days (I was sick all week and still had to fill orders) or time off. If I do take time off, my business suffers.

And my business is subsidized by my husband. He works and I have health insurance through his company. His paycheck does pay for some of my supplies and packaging costs.

I do believe thar in order to succeed here, you have to have some basic understanding of business, whether it's a background in business management or a degree in business. It's not a requirement, but it sure does help.

When i first came here, I was under the impression that opening an Etsy store would be easy - I was wrong. It's no easier starting here than opening up a B&M small business - both have challenges, require capital or some sort of initial investment and in both cases, the statistics are more against us then for us succeeding.

This is nothing new, but it sure is nice to remind people, especially those who, like me, thought this would be easy.

In my two years here, I can absolutely say this has been anything but easy. I have worked harder here than any other job I have had in the past.

(Edited: I hit submit before i was finished typing)
hmm...so no one make a profit here?????
felicesereno, you are missing the point.

it's not that "no one can make a profit here" it's more like "not everyone will make a profit here". Make sense?
i would not be selling here if i was not making a profit. i would certainly find another way of selling my items.

and not every small business, wherever they are located.. on the main street or on the internet... is making a profit.
The article isn't saying anything new. 50% of small businesses fail in 2-3 years. 75% in 5 years. Why would micro-businesses be any different?

Many people on Etsy have extremely profitable businesses. Many more fail. That's true with any business, in any environment, big or small. Just look at the recent failures of Kodak and Hostess.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.