Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

USPS Parcel Select vs Standard Post

I need help/clarification if anyone can shed any light on this or guide me to a thread that already has the answers.

From my understanding:

According to Etsy's shipping instructions (www.etsy.com/help/article/3107?ref=help_search_result) Parcel Select has replaced Parcel Post, but that is a business solution, so I would like to ship using Standard Post.

Parcel Select is a business option that has a restriction of a 50-piece minimum. (pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q450.htm) :(

I don't ship that much and would like to use Standard Post, but I don't see that as an option in the Etsy shipping drop down menu. Is Etsy going to add this option? Can I use Parcel Select because it's through Etsy and Etsy as a whole ships more than 50 pieces?

Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

8 Responses

Parcel Select is the online version of Standard Post/Parcel Post. It's actually cheaper than both, so yay!

You can only get Standard Post at the PO and it costs more.
Does Tracking come free with both Parcel Select and Standard Post?
I'm looking at the Parcel Select pricing spreadsheets and wondering which entry point to look at. I'm also wondering what is machinable and non machinable?
www.usps.com/business/parcel-select.htm
I found the difference between machinable and non machinable here:
pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/401.htm

1.5.1 Criteria

A machinable parcel is any piece that is not a letter or a flat and that is (see Exhibit 1.5.1):

a. Not less than 6 inches long, 3 inches high, 1/4 inch thick, and 6 ounces in weight, except under 1.5.2. A mailpiece exactly 1/4 inch thick is subject to the 3 1/2-inch height minimum under 601.1.0.

b. Not more than 27 inches long, or 17 inches high, or 17 inches thick. Parcels cannot weigh more than 25 pounds, except Parcel Select and Parcel Return parcels which have a maximum weight of 35 pounds, except for those containing books or other printed matter (25 pound maximum).
I was confused after reading the info on the USPS site, but got some clarification from Etsy. Etsy is able to give sellers the commercial rate on Parcel Select, but we don't have to meet the minimum of 50 packages. So we can use the replacement for Parcel Post with single package shipments.
There is some more information on this forum thread, too:
www.etsy.com/teams/7722/business-topics/discuss/11645461/page/1
I heard it won't be till March before we can do labels for it online, like on Paypal for instance. Its a real drag because I have to go stand in line at the PO in the mean time. UG!
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 8:36 pm Feb 10, 2013 EST
What's this? Am I understanding correctly that I can mail a package at a cheaper rate through etsy than by standing in line at the PO? Parcel Select isn't available until March? I need to figure this out.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.