Discussions

This topic has been closed.

Etsy's New Reviews: Feedback

*** Update 9/5 ***

Hi everyone,

I’m here with some updates. You’ve given us a lot of helpful feedback over the last two weeks. In particular, many of you were concerned about sellers not having a voice in the reviews process. We heard this request from you as we gathered community input through the survey, and it’s something our team has been thinking about as we developed the new reviews. I'm happy to announce that we'll be adding the ability for sellers to respond to reviews in the coming weeks.

When working on such large, complicated projects, it’s best to release in increments, allowing us to see the effects of each change. We’ve been releasing updates over the last few months, to build up the foundation for the new system. Some of these changes include new case timing logic, which helped set the stage for review timing. We also redesigned the Purchases page to be the new home of reviews, and to better share order, shipping and contact information, in case buyers have questions about their purchases. Last week we launched the new reviews system, and in the coming weeks we’ll release responses.

All of these releases have led to a stronger and more flexible reviews platform that better supports continued improvements. We want to be thoughtful and careful about updates we make, in order to keep reviews easy-to-use, and effective for the greater community. When we aren’t releasing or working on updates, we’re monitoring the system, gathering data and listening to your feedback.

Some other updates we made include editing the help text in the review box to provide better direction for buyers. We also added a new convo link that appears when a reviewer selects three or fewer stars, giving the chance for them to notify the seller of any concerns before they leave a review.

We thank you for all of your feedback so far on the reviews system. We’ve been listening and have heard your questions in this thread, and have made updates based on what we’ve learned from you and our observations on the new system. Since we're seeing repeats in most comments and questions, we're going to close it shortly. We’ll be back to announce the launch of review responses in the Forums, keep an eye on the Announcements section.

Thanks,
Heather on behalf of the whole team

*** Update 8/29 ***

Hi all,

We’ve heard the concern you’ve expressed about not having a strong enough voice in the case where you receive unfair feedback. We want to let you know that we’re looking at ways to address this concern, and will get back to you within a week with our plan.

In the meantime, we’ve been fixing some bugs and doing small updates based on your feedback. We’ll keep adding those updates to this thread, so keep an eye out for new highlighted posts.

Thanks,
Feedback Team

Original post, 8/26

Hi everyone,

As we announced in April, we’ve been working on updating Etsy’s feedback system, a top request from you, our community. Since April, we released a seller survey, with over 4,000 responses (thank you!) and conducted buyer research through interviews. Based on the project research, we developed and tested a new review system, to better meet the needs of our sellers and buyers. We believe that the new reviews will provide an improved sense of fairness and transparency, in addition to a better shopping experience across the marketplace.

Please read our announcement in Etsy News, which gives more background on the project:
www.etsy.com/blog/news/2013/5-stars-for-etsys-new-review-system/

Get an overview on the new reviews here:
www.etsy.com/reviews

And if you’d like to dive into the details, you can read our feedback FAQs here:
www.etsy.com/help/article/102

The new reviews will be rolling out gradually over the next couple weeks, with most people seeing the new system by the end of this week. Please read through the information above to get the full picture (especially if you don’t see the changes yet in your account), and share your feedback in this thread. We'll be here to answer your questions over the next few days,

Thanks,
The Feedback Team

Update: Some have been asking about buyer appreciation photos from the old system. You can access all of your past appreciation photos here:
www.etsy.com/feedback/photos

This link will be accessible for about a month, so we recommend saving these to your computer soon. We do think appreciation photos can be fun and valuable, and we're considering other ways to include customer photos in the future.

55 Highlighted Responses

Kitty Phillips from AlwaysAMemory:

So, if we get a low star rating and a negative comment we can't respond at all?...

Hey Kitty,

We have heard this request from the community, and understand why replying publicly can offer a sense of control when a low rating occurs. We may consider it in the future, but for now we would prefer members to work together to resolve an issue, and for buyers to edit their reviews to reflect that resolution.

For reviews that are abusive or don't align with our policies, we've added a link for sellers to report individual reviews to Etsy for removal.

We definitely appreciate the feedback and will be thinking about this as we go forward.

-Cap
Tiffany from miragreetings says:
So sellers don't have a way to publically respond to negative/low-star ratings?

Hi Tiffany,

We have heard this request from the community, and understand why it can offer a sense of control when a low rating occurs. We aren't sure what the effects will be if sellers can respond — it could even reflect negatively on the seller if there's a public disagreement. We may consider it in the future, but for now we would prefer members to work together to resolve an issue, and for buyers to edit their reviews to reflect that resolution.

Thanks for asking!
Melissa from WellRavelled:

How long will reviews be "editable" after a buyer leaves them? It seems really unfair if they can leave a positive review after a week, then come back a year later and change it.

Hi Melissa,

Great question! Once a buyer is able to leave a review, they have a 60 day window to leave a review. During that 60 day window, the buyer is also able to edit their review. After that time has passed, the review will no longer be editable.
Lauren Constantino from GreenStreetMosaics:

How does Etsy determine when we can leave feedback? Something I purchased that has already arrived says "open for review on August 31st." So I have to wait five more days to leave feedback?

I can't imagine my customers remembering to return to leave feedback in five days.

Hi Lauren,

Great question: we're bringing processing and shipping information into the system, so items can only be reviewed after its likely that they've arrived. To keep buyers updated, we're displaying shipping and tracking information more prominently, as well as pointing them to "Contact the Shop" if they have any questions.

We understand that there may be some scenarios where buyers receive their items before the ‘open for review’ date. It is tough to estimate when an item has arrived, so we’re erring on the side of caution so that users are unable to review items or open cases before they’ve arrived.

Longer term, we’re launching email reminders for buyers to leave feedback, based on the same logic above, which we think will increase the number of overall transactions that get reviewed at the appropriate time.

A bit more detail on how this works can be found here: www.etsy.com/help/article/4493?ref=help_search_result
Monde from MondeDesign:

So, will old feedback be deleted, or just not count in a feedback score?

Hey there! Old feedback (that is greater than 12 months old) will simply not count in the average score. You'll still be able to look through all your old feedback on your shop reviews page!
Buyers are able and encouraged to review the item and the seller's service in the new Feedback system, as before. There is no restriction on what can / should be written. With the new minimum 5 words requirement, we believe buyers will be inspired to leave more detailed commentary on the entire interaction, useful for future buyers and for the seller.
seabornpress from seabornpress:

Cap, could you clarify - will our feedback older than a year still be counted toward our feedback number, or will it be left out of the number and the star average?

Hey Seabornpress,

The number will reflect your all-time total number of reviews. The last twelve months will only be used to get the average score. :)

Hope that helps clarify things!

-Cap
Hello!
All feedback received as a seller will still be included in your 'counts' and visible to members. The '12-months' only refers to which reviews are used to calculate the average star-rating. Our aim is to provide a more relevant picture, recent review scores create the average, and the 'all review' counts, show both a shop's recent engagement and service, as well as tenure and expertise.
Hi Kitty,
The 12 months refers only which reviews are included in the avg. star-rating -- all of the feedback you've received as a seller will remain visible to users visiting your listing page, your shop review page and in the total count #s you see in both places. Its definitely important to make sure sellers can convey their tenure and expertise!
Karen - BaffinBags from BaffinBags:

I haven't read entire thread - but when I look at someone's feedback - it says -

Reviewed by Anonymous on August 24, 2013

What's with "Anonymous"?

Hi Karen,

We’ve made the decision to follow industry standards when it comes to buyer reviews, as we believe that it will increase accountability on the part of the reviewer. This means that a buyer's profile information will be publicly displayed on the sellers review and listing pages, but their purchase information will still remain private to them on their profile page. Keep in mind that leaving a review is still optional.

Reviews that have been left prior to the new design will remain anonymous -- which is why you're seeing "Reviewed by Anonymous."
BarnFly from BarnFlyVintage:

Cap,

Maybe I missed this info. but I was wondering what happens to our scores if a buyer decides Not to leave feedback at all. Is the "0" stars for a sale figured into the mix?

I mean, if I have 10 sales and 5 customers each leave me a 5 star rating and the other 5 customers don't come back to etsy, during the 60 day window to rate my products/service...What would my rating be?

Hey BarnFly!

There's no zero star option. If a customer fails to leave feedback during the open window, they will just be prevented from leaving it and that non-feedback will not count in any way toward your overall average.

So, in your example, your average would be 5 stars. :) Like a boss.

-Cap
Hi Christian,
You're correct, reviews with commentary are being favored with this change. Both buyers and sellers mention that having comments to go along with a rating is helpful - both informing future purchase decisions and explaining issues!
Hi Marie Louise,
To your point, we think communication with words is super important too! That's why we're requiring buyers to write at least 5 words if they choose to submit a review.
Suny Blu from SunyIslandBlu says:
Exactly what recourse do shop owners have for being left unfair bad feedback?
Will there be some type of "review" process that will be implemented to protect the shop owners?

______

Hi Suny,

This is on a lot of minds! Reviewing buyers proved to not be an effective way of protection against unfair reviews. Buyer feedback scores were rarely checked, and most buyers we spoke to didn’t care about their “score”, and many didn’t even realize they were being reviewed.

Although we’re eliminating buyer reviews, Etsy will continue to take action on buyers who are in violation of our policies. In cases of non-payment we have our Seller Protection Policy, and if buyers show a record of non-payment issues, we close their accounts. Note that since we’ve implemented Direct Checkout, and riskier forms of payment have declined (such as checks and money orders), occurrences of non-payment have reduced significantly. In the case of a buyer using profane language, or disclosing personal information, the seller can flag a review for violating our policies. For “not-as-described” cases, we review the information provided in the original listing as well as the perspective of the buyer and seller, to resolve the case.

If we see buyers who show patterns in non-payment or in leaving violating reviews, their membership will be terminated. For not-as-described, the cases are dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

The question of “unfair” feedback is extremely subjective. Unlike the above areas (non-payment, policy violation, and not-as-described), Etsy can’t create standards around buyer satisfaction and their perception of quality, what they like, etc. This is really a human issue - there are some you just can’t please. Buyers get this, and if they see one lower review amongst a sea of high reviews, they will understand it’s not the norm. Keep in mind that low ratings will drop off your shop score after 12 months, so they don’t weigh as heavily as the past “negatives” did.

We added editing to reviews so that you can work with the buyer resolve the issue, as much as makes sense within your shop’s approach to customer service. This is much better than KAMU, is easier to find and clearer to use, so we believe resolving poor feedback will be a much smoother process going forward.

Thanks for reading my long response!
Diane from SignsByDiane:

My question has STILL NOT BEEN ANSWERED!!

Can someone in admin lease let me know if my feedback will be affected since I haven't been using the Etsy processing times tool? I always convo my buyers instead to thank them and let them know when I will ship.

Hi Diane,

Processing times are used to determine when a purchase is open for review (that is the only way processing times "affect" feedback). Previously, a buyer was able to review an item instantly after purchasing it -- there was no waiting time until the seller had made or even shipped the item.

We decided to incorporate processing and shipping times into when a purchase can be reviewed, which we hope will prevent cases or negative reviews from being opened and left prematurely.

We do understand that not all sellers use processing times, and that some shops have complicated and varying processing times. Sellers do always have the option of listing an item with one processing time, and then updating the sold order with a different processing time.
Emily and Lydia Duffy from PaddedPonies said:
I am thrilled with some of the aspects of the new feedback system! I do have a small concern though... I've learned that people rarely rate things at the highest level, Meaning on a scale of 1-10, people are far more likely to choose 9 than 10. I am concerned this will be the case with the new star rating on Etsy. I could have many people choosing 4 stars instead of 5, which could drag my rating down even if there was nothing wrong with the transaction.

If this becomes the case for a majority of Etsy sellers, will Etsy reconsider this method?

Hi Emily and Lydia,

We moved to a 5-star system as it's standard for shopping sites across the internet. We want to reduce the amount of new systems buyers have to learn, to be able to shop comfortably on Etsy - especially because we're trying to attract new buyers to continue to grow sales for our sellers.

Another reason why we prefer stars is that allows for a visual representation of a score, which is more forgiving to our sellers than the difference between 100% and 98%, which used to stress our sellers immensely. If there is a shift in the average rating due to having 5 options versus 3, the shift will happen site-wide, and again will fall into the normal expectations of online shoppers.

Thanks!
Sherry from TheCuriousCaseLLC:

I'm dismayed at so many aspects of this, losing thousands of feedbacks, 15 days for international delivery when many countries take 4-6weeks, editable feedback? So I sell a product that protects a customer drops their case it cracks and my positive is now negative at their whim? What! Surely I'm reading this wrong, no buyer feedback? We are at the mercy of Any buyer having a bad day. My nerves can't take this

You've killed made to order sellers, you've muted us completely

Hi Sherry!

Previously, buyers were able to leave feedback on a transaction the moment that the purchase went through.

With the new system, we've added a buffer that did not exist before. With processing time + shipping days (both are business days), we're adding more protection for sellers whose packages need time to arrive. Neither reviews nor cases can be submitted until this time passes. Sellers are encouraged to use processing times for added control over this buffer. Buyers who check on purchases in the purchase page in the meantime are encouraged to contact sellers with questions or view tracking information to check on packages en route. Here's an FAQ with more information!
www.etsy.com/help/article/4493?ref=help_search_result
Christian Griffin from PeregrineStudios:

Essentially, what's happened here is they've combined the worst of Etsy's feedback with the worst of eBay's feedback and are trying to tell us that it's an improvement.

We have the lovely five-star rating system, which is inherently broken for reasons I'll discuss below, and we have the total inability to respond to feedback or leave our own feedback. We thought it was bad before, when we couldn't respond to buyers directly? Well NOW, we can't even leave them feedback AT ALL!

Let me explain why five-star rating is BAD:

No one leaves five-star rating. It's really as simple as that. There will be PLENTY of four-star ratings, but no five-stars. To the average buyer, four-stars = excellent product, excellent service, would buy again. Five-stars = along with my purchase I received another one free, a coupon for a free tire rotation, and a coupon good for a free sandwich, and the package was delivered by angels from on high within four hours of my purchase.

HOWEVER, to the average buyer, anything LESS than a five-star rating is unacceptable. Most buyers, when browsing products, will NOT glance at anything with less than a five-star rating.

I never, NEVER thought I would have to say this: the old feedback system was better. At least positive meant positive.

Hi Christian,

This is really a human issue - there are always some people you just can’t please. Buyers get this, and if they see one lower review amongst a sea of high reviews, they will understand it’s not the norm.

When we spoke to sellers earlier this year about how they’d like to see the current feedback system improved, we received a lot of suggestions referring to other online shopping review systems. In buyer interviews and in user testing we heard much the same. We took note, and while Etsy’s marketplace and shopping experience is unique, having buyers and sellers share similar sets of expectations and interpretations of the review system helps to drive better use of the system, to reduce confusion and help to ensure better purchase decisions (and more satisfied customers).

We’ve also made an attempt to simplify purchasing decisions for buyers by providing a more visual system that’s recognizable at a glance. The previous system required a buyer to try and weigh a sellers total number of positive reviews against their overall percentage, proving to be tedious and skewed in some instances.

The changes that have been to the Feedback system made were done so with careful consideration. Along those lines, we always welcome feedback from our members, which we'll continue to take into account as we make further improvements!
Re: responding to certain reviews - we definitely hear sellers on this point. We have heard this request from the community many times, and we definitely understand why it can offer a sense of control when a low rating occurs. While we can't make any guarantees about upcoming changes or timing, we may consider it in the future.
Hey Caroline,

I'm unfamiliar with Ebay's policy, but we don't suspend people just for having four stars (and your shop with five stars is just lovely).

Nothing is changing about the way we look into and review shops with low feedback scores. We use low feedback scores along with a number of other signals to determine whether or not a shop is violating our policies.
kidichimama from kidichimama:

(see existing, highlighted, admin responses at beginning of thread):

"Hi Diane,

Processing times are used to determine when a purchase is open for review (that is the only way processing times "affect" feedback). Previously, a buyer was able to review an item instantly after purchasing it -- there was no waiting time until the seller had made or even shipped the item.

We decided to incorporate processing and shipping times into when a purchase can be reviewed, which we hope will prevent cases or negative reviews from being opened and left prematurely.

We do understand that not all sellers use processing times, and that some shops have complicated and varying processing times. Sellers do always have the option of listing an item with one processing time, and then updating the sold order with a different processing time. "

Please provide concise response to following scenario:

International seller
Does not use 'processing time'
Tracking information must choose other for shipping (not on etsy list) and tracking is from foreign postal/EMS service

Buyer purchases item
a) when does feedback window open (describe which part of sum is processing and which is shipping times)
b) when does feedback window close (time for which one may leave feedback)
c) when does edit feedback window open (immediate after feedback left?)
d) when does edit feedback window close if no edit made
e) is feedback edit window closed after one edit
f) when does edit feedback window close if edit
g) If feedback window about to close and one leaves feedback then does edit feedback extend time past original feedback window close date - if so, explain timeline

In all instances above, please indicate which are business and which, if any, are calender days.

It would be beneficial for all if etsy publish timeline for feedback/review gates in several scenarios.

Hi Diane,

Processing times (set by seller) and shipping days are both in business days.

If a seller has not set processing times, Etsy will assume '5' business days as a proxy. Once processing time is up or a seller marks as shipped (whichever comes first), Etsy assumes shipping days begin. Shipping days for cross border shipments are '15' business days, for domestic, '5' business days.

After shipping days pass, the item is eligible (open) for review. The review period is 60 calendar days. The review can be submitted or edited within that period, the 60 day eligibility period does not change. Let me know if you have additional questions on above!

Thanks, Jane
Hi Taylor,

While reviews submitted going forward will no longer be anonymized, there are no changes to members' public profiles. Reviewers full names or username (if no fullname) will be visible alongside the submitted review which shows up on the item's shop review page or the listing page.

Best, Jane
Hi CG, Domestic means refers to within any country, so it could include shipments within Canada. Its difficult to perfectly guess when a package might arrive, so we're erring on the longer side, but I want to note that prior to this change, buyers could leave a review immediately after purchase and file a case within 7 days of purchase. With this change we're giving more time for items to arrive.
Hi Karen, prior to this change, 0 shipping days were being taken into account. Items could reviewed the moment that a purchase went through. To adjust that mis-match, we're bringing processing and shipping information into the system, so items can only be reviewed after its likely that they've arrived.
Catbooks1940s from Catbooks1940s:

i can see no valid reason for not counting feedback already left sellers since they started selling here. only one year's worth of feedback will count?

what does that say about etsy's value of and regard for long-time sellers? some sellers have been here since 2005, etsy's beginnings. the many feedback given them for the past 8 years is suddenly null and void, not worth counting and showing in the total?

this past year has been abysmal for me for sales. although i currently have 223, i'd imagine my feedback will drop to almost nothing. for no good reason! which will also make me more vulnerable to 3 or 4 star ratings.

i've sold just under 400 items, yet only 223 of my customers have left feedback. many contact me privately, which has always been fine with me and i much appreciate.

but the reality is, not just on etsy but on any venue, buyer have far less motivation to leave feedback unless it's less than positive. some don't know about leaving it, many just don't want to be bothered. they want their item, to be happy with it, and that's it. understandably.

i've rolled with many of etsy's changes, but i cannot with this one. i do not feel like a valued and respected customer. i don't even feel heard, at all.

Hi Catbooks1940s,

Your reviews look great! We agree at Etsy that the total # of a sellers reviews over their lifetime is important - it imparts to buyers both a sellers' expertise and their tenure. For that reason, a sellers lifetime of reviews as a seller are still viewable on the shop reviews page and the counts displayed also reflect that lifetime number, alongside the average star-rating.

The average star-rating is based on the last 12 months of reviews, this provides a more recent picture of a shop's engagement and allows sellers to move past one-time ratings that are aberrations. The move for reviews to the purchase page, a page much more highly trafficked than the older 'feedback awaiting pages' is also meant to better surface the opportunity to leave reviews, along with providing helpful contextual information for buyers.

Thank you for your feedback! Please me know if you have any additional questions, Best, Jane
Hi Sleek Styles,
Yes, that is something that we're watching closely. This can work in seller's favor too though. With a 12-month average a seller can turn things around after a tough spell or if they're just getting started and learning the ropes. In other words, if you run into an unfortunate situation or have an unreasonable buyer, you're not beholden forever. Thanks for following up!
Hi Shanna,
Thanks for your note! Incorporating processing times and shipping days into review eligibility (minimum set by the seller's processing time) improves over the prior system's zero days (old system). In the new system, buyers are encouraged and can more easily contact sellers or track a package's progress in the same UI (purchase page), if they're curious about a shipment's status.
jamiespinello from jamiespinello:

Question for Admins:

Will there be "fraction" stars? you know like 4.875 stars? Or just the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 stars. Which will round everything down to a full star?

Hi Jamie,

Great question -- yes, there are half stars in the new system. Averages are rounded up on the quarter to the nearest half or full star. Please feel free to let us know if you have more questions about this. A 4.875 in your example would be rounded up to a 5-star.

Best, Jane
Hello,

Happy to clarify further. I was referring to the averaged 12-month star score, but buyers choose full stars. Great question! Please let me know if you have additional questions on this, thanks Jane
Hi Sleekstyles, Cynthia,
Great questions! The counts that members see in the new system are only those received as a seller, throughout the lifetime of the shop. We're counting seller reviews received both with and without comments. Also, another great question Cynthia -- in the new system as the old, the reviews are at the transaction level (not the order level).
Hi everyone,

We're signing off for the evening, thanks for your questions and thoughts on the new system. We'll be back tomorrow to answer new questions that pop up. Please review the highlighted responses at the beginning of the thread - this is a long one and we're seeing some repeats (totally understandable).

And Brooke - yes, I am an active Etsy seller! I'll be working on it tonight.

Have a good evening everyone.
seabornpress from seabornpress says:
I'm wondering if a site-wide email is going to go out about this. I would have never even known what was going on if I hadn't happened to check the forums yesterday, which I don't do that often. Isn't there some kind of policy on informing paying customers of your site-wide changes?
____

Hi! Yes we will email sellers later today. We didn't want to email too early, before most people could see the new system. For large changes like this, we agree that a wide announcement is best.
Lauren Constantino says:
I just received my first email from a customer saying she couldn't figure out where to leave feedback. When I walked her through the process -- go to purchases and search for the order -- she said it was not yet open for review. So instead she wrote me a lovely "review" via Etsy convo.

She is a repeat customer who shops on Etsy frequently and is very computer literate and Etsy savvy.

This is something that I am concerned about for buyers who actually do take the time and want to leave feedback immediately when they have the item in hand -- and not in 5 days or whenever Etsy opens the review process.

A possible compromise would be for the buyer to be able to mark an item "received" so the review process can open. Is this something that might be considered?

Hi!

We have thought about this, but don't want buyers to click "arrived" when it's not true, and leave a review before they've received the item, which was a problem many sellers mentioned in our survey. This is why we're erring on the side of waiting a little longer to open up the review window, to protect sellers against false reviews.

We mentioned this before, but we are planning to add email notifications to buyers when an item is ready to be reviewed. Under our old system, less than 30% of items received reviews. As you know, many buyers don't remember to leave feedback, or didn't know how under the old system. When we redesigned the listing page, we learned that when we more prominently displayed feedback, buyers became more engaged with the listing. We really want to encourage more people to leave reviews, knowing the positive effects it can have on shoppers.

The email could help in this scenario, Lauren, so that your buyer is notified at the right time to leave a review.

Some have voiced their concern about this being "spammy", but keep in mind that most shoppers only purchase on Etsy once in a while, so the email wouldn't be received very often. It will also be opt-out, for buyers who don't want to be reminded to leave reviews.

Thanks for your thoughts around this issue Lauren!

Hi everyone!

Some have been asking about buyer appreciation photos, from the old system. You can access all of your past appreciation photos here:
www.etsy.com/feedback/photos

This link will be accessible for about a month, so we recommend saving these to your computer now. We do think appreciation photos can be fun and valuable, but they weren't implemented well in the old system. We're considering other ways to include customer photos in the future.

Thanks!
Hi all,
Thanks for all of the questions and concerns. We've been following along and we'll be answering questions again in this thread and providing more detail shortly. Thanks very much! Jane
Wendy M from TDUBshop:

My question: what is the incentive for buyers to leave feedback or change a negative feedback to positive?

Sellers have the incentive of providing good customer service as well as receiving good ratings and reviews for future business.

Why would a buyer take the time to write a review or change a review after an issue is dealt with? There is NO incentive. Even in the old feedback system only a small percentage of buyers even left reviews. Now that they would have to leave a 5+ word comment, I fear that even fewer will take the time to do so.

Hi Wendy M, Thanks for your note! The buyers we spoke to mentioned that they'd had great experiences on Etsy. As before with KAMU, sellers have the opportunity to reach out to buyers who appear dissatisfied and offer resolution. In this case, the seller will have more of an idea if there was an issue what they can do to fix it, as the buyer will have written a note about their experience. Often buyers write to Etsy asking for help editing their reviews due to typos or leaving a review for the wrong item, this helps them out in that regard as well. Please let me know if you have more questions on this!
Thanks, Jane
Deb Gaunt from DebsWoodshop Changed from DGauntDesigns on Jul 17, 2013:

Dear Etsy,

So far, I like the new feedback system. I'll admit that I haven't been here very long, and I don't have much feedback yet, so I wasn't really attached to the old system.

I did just receive an update on feedback I received recently; my customer added how well her purchase was working out and how many compliments she had received about it.

I do like that buyers have the ability to add followup comments to their original feedback. It would be even nicer if I could post a "thank you" comment on the feedback. I'm not comfortable convoing a "thank you"; that seems a bit intrusive to me.

Thanks Deb!

Its great to hear from you. Sounds like your customer was a very thoughtful person to have followed up with you. I understand the desire to want to thank the customers for their feedback. Some buyers might really appreciate the convo, though everyone is a little different. You can feel out what works best for you. Do let us know if you have any thoughts on the system after having a chance to get used to it. Glad you're having a good experience on Etsy so far!
Kris Stewart from Scroll:

I think one thing needs to be added to the new review system to make it truly user-friendly: the ability to easily see how many 5-star, 4-star, 3-star, etc., reviews a seller has and then be able to click on those to read the reviews by stars. As a consumer, if a seller has negative reviews, I want to read them and judge for myself whether the critique is justified or if it's just one of those people who are never satisfied. I will NOT take the time to sift through multiple pages of reviews to hunt down the ones I want to read. I would like my customers to have this ability as well.

Hi Kris,
Thanks for your suggestion! Its a good idea and I can see how it will be useful to our members to provide more context. We're excited that the new system is flexible enough to support more explorations like this and we look forward to continued suggestions and ideas from the community as they interact more with the changes. Thanks again!
Hi Bee, I'm sorry you feel that way. Many of our members expressed a desire to be able to add more context to their review. Sellers told us that getting a negative without a comment felt terrible, as they had no idea what had happened and were concerned that future buyers would be left to wonder. Thanks for your feedback, please let us know of other thoughts as you interact more with the system!
Nancy from RainwaterSoaps:

I purchased item which arrived two days ago, and want to leave a review. Problem is, the system seems to not want to let me review until September 10th. It is highly unlikely that I will remember to leave a review for an item 16 days after its arrival. What is the deal?

Hi Nancy, thanks for your question! You're encountering an element of the feature that doesn't open items up for review until after they've (most likely) had a chance to arrive. Its a bit awkward in cases where you do get the item right away. It is hard for us to guess perfectly so we're erring on the longer side. We're exploring reminders (email) for users when their items are ready for review, which may alleviate some of the concern about forgetting to review items. The purchases page is fairly highly traffic'd among pages on Etsy's site, so we think that more people will be checking in on that page for other reasons and will take care of open reviews when visiting that page periodically as well. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts as you interact more with the new review system! Best, Jane
For reviews left on the old system, they will remain anonymous on a seller's public Reviews page. If you are signed into your account as a seller, you will see the names of the buyers who left the reviews (this isn't a change).

For reviews left on the new system, they will show the buyer's username (or profile name) -- both on the public Reviews page and when signed into a seller account.
Hi Jillian Audrey,

If you haven't received any reviews within the last 12 months, we won't show a star rating. You won't have zero stars -- in fact, zero is impossible :)

If a buyer goes to your Reviews page, or one of your listings, they will see all the past reviews you've received, just not an average rating.
Hi Carolyn and Nicole,

Once a purchase is eligible for review, the buyer will have 60 days from that date to leave or edit their feedback. This applies to both reviews left on the old and new systems.

At this time, we are not notifying sellers when a buyer edits their review. We are still working on ways to improve the system, and will continue to make changes as needed.
Melissa from WellRavelled:

How long will reviews be "editable" after a buyer leaves them? It seems really unfair if they can leave a positive review after a week, then come back a year later and change it.

Hi Melissa, reviews are editable for 60 calendar days after the item is open for review. Please let me know if you have more questions about this!
Monde from MondeDesign:

So, will old feedback be deleted, or just not count in a feedback score?

Hi Monde, thanks for your question! Feedback received as a seller will be visible on your shop reviews page and on your listing page. The counts for # of reviews refer to those you've received as a seller. The change is that reviews you've received as a buyer will no longer be visible or count towards your total review count. As for your average star rating, that will reflect an average of the ratings you've received as a seller over the last 12 months. Please let me know if this answers your question, Cheers, Jane
Hi Melissa, reviews are editable for 60 calendar days after the 'open for review' period starts. That timing is based on the seller-specified processing time for the order + the shipping days ('5' business days for domestic shipments, '15' days for cross-border shipments). Reviews are no longer submittable or editable after that 60 day (calendar day) window closes. Cheers, Jane
Rachel Hansen from LuckyStrings:

... but if someone orders from me and I cancel the sale for whatever reason and issue a refund - are they still able to leave a review and IF SO does that review stay up there or is there a window of time when it will disappear?

Hi Rachel, great question! Nothing is changing in this area from the old system to the new. If a review is left prior to cancellation it will still show up. However -- what is different is that in the new system items will be open for review only after processing time and shipping days have passed, so the situation you mention should be less frequent. We are watching this closely, please let us know if you have any additional questions on this! Best, Jane

Hi everyone,

The new reviews system is a big change, and can be hard to grasp when you’re unsure of how buyers will use it and how it will ultimately affect your shop. Knowing how important the system is for you, we took a long time researching, developing and testing the new system. We started from the ground up — and have built a much stronger platform, trying to address greater needs at their core, rather than coming up with patches that were requests from the old system. We’ve set up a better structure that can better handle future improvements, and we will closely monitor the new system, and adjust it accordingly, to make sure we’re providing the best experience for the whole community.

Before we make any major changes, we need time. We’ll be collecting lots of data, both related to the concerns you have and around the general health of the reviews system and its effects on shops. We’ll share those learnings with you in a month or two, to share what’s working well, or areas where we need to make adjustments. We know it takes time for everyone to adjust to big changes. Remember the switch to Relevancy in Search? There was a lot of similar fear of the unknown, of a new approach. But today, we know that relevancy has led to a much better shopping experience, and contributed significantly to the growth our sellers have seen since it launched. So we ask you to try out the new review system, and give it some time.

We’ll continue to follow this thread, and keep an eye out for new questions. I want to share the blog post and reviews page again, in case you haven’t already seen it — the blog post shares more background on the larger changes we made, and the reviews page explains the new system and links to FAQs for further details.
Blog post: www.etsy.com/blog/news/2013/5-stars-for-etsys-new-review-system/
Reviews page: www.etsy.com/reviews

Thanks,
Heather
Hi!

Quick update: We've been working on fixing the bugs reported in the forums (thanks for pointing them out!). We were notified of an issue that buyers were having when trying to leave a review on Internet Explorer 7, and this is now fixed. We're notifying the affected buyers so they can now complete their reviews.

We've also received reports of a bug where a few reviews have displayed incorrect dates, and we're working on fixing that now.

Thanks!
Calia
Hi all - I added this to my original post, but wanted to make sure you see it in the thread:

We’ve heard the concern you’ve expressed about not having a strong enough voice in the case where you receive unfair feedback. We want to let you know that we’re looking at ways to address this concern, and will get back to you within a week with our plan.

In the meantime, we’ve been fixing some bugs and doing small updates based on your feedback. We’ll keep adding those updates to this thread, so keep an eye out for new highlighted posts.

Thanks,
Feedback Team
Hi everyone,

We've heard what you said about the language we're providing buyers in the new review prompts, and we'll be updating the language to address some of your concerns.

We've also added instructional text for 1-3 star ratings, to provide buyers an easy way to send a Convo to a shop before leaving a review.

Best,
Andrew
Hi theposhdiva,

We're sorry to hear about this. We haven't changed the way that reviews and cancelations work. In both the old and new system, buyers were able to leave a review (or use Kiss & Make Up) during the 48 hour processing period. Once the processing period is over, the ability to leave a review was removed (which is the same as the new system), but any reviews already left remained.
Hi buttonempire,

For digital items that are 'instant' download, you should be able to leave a review once the items have been downloaded.

If the items have't been downloaded, you won't see the option to leave a review.

If that doesn't work for you, please send me a Convo and I'll be happy to look into it further.
Hi everyone,

I’m here with some updates. You’ve given us a lot of helpful feedback over the last two weeks. In particular, many of you were concerned about sellers not having a voice in the reviews process. We heard this request from you as we gathered community input through the survey, and it’s something our team has been thinking about as we developed the new reviews. I'm happy to announce that we'll be adding the ability for sellers to respond to reviews in the coming weeks.

When working on such large, complicated projects, it’s best to release in increments, allowing us to see the effects of each change. We’ve been releasing updates over the last few months, to build up the foundation for the new system. Some of these changes include new case timing logic, which helped set the stage for review timing. We also redesigned the Purchases page to be the new home of reviews, and to better share order, shipping and contact information, in case buyers have questions about their purchases. Last week we launched the new reviews system, and in the coming weeks we’ll release responses.

All of these releases have led to a stronger and more flexible reviews platform that better supports continued improvements. We want to be thoughtful and careful about updates we make, in order to keep reviews easy-to-use, and effective for the greater community. When we aren’t releasing or working on updates, we’re monitoring the system, gathering data and listening to your feedback.

Some other updates we made include editing the help text in the review box to provide better direction for buyers. We also added a new convo link that appears when a reviewer selects three or fewer stars, giving the chance for them to notify the seller of any concerns before they leave a review.

We thank you for all of your feedback so far on the reviews system. We’ve been listening and have heard your questions in this thread, and have made updates based on what we’ve learned from you and our observations on the new system. Since we're seeing repeats in most comments and questions, we're going to close it shortly. We’ll be back to announce the launch of review responses in the Forums, keep an eye on the Announcements section.

Thanks,
Heather on behalf of the whole team
We don't have any other updates about the new Reviews system at this time. As Heather has alluded in prior posts, after a point there's nothing that is a good substitute to watching how buyers and sellers make use of Reviews. We'll need that information to inform additional decisions.

Both the anecdotal experiences from members (sellers and buyers both) who write to us through various channels and the data we gather on the site are critically important, and when we only have one we don't have as full of a picture as we could about what we are working on or have worked on. We'll keep reading the feedback on Reviews that turns up in other threads while we monitor the system and the data that we get from its use.

12595 Responses

Heather that first link brings up an "uh-oh" page
The link has been updated, thanks!
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 12:01pm Aug 26, 2013 EDT
Finally!!! Thank you so much for your hard work!!! :)
How does Etsy determine when we can leave feedback? Something I purchased that has already arrived says "open for review on August 31st." So I have to wait five more days to leave feedback?

I can't imagine my customers remembering to return to leave feedback in five days.
I agree Lauren. I've already had a few that convo'd me letting me know their order arrived and they were happy with their purchase but couldn't leave feedback until September 4. I was disappointed about this because positive feedback is always good and the chances of buyers returning to leave feedback is not great and I can't say I blame them.
I agree as well. I made a purchase and received it 3 days ago. I went to leave feedback today and it said I couldn't until September 3. A whole week after I received it? So now I am supposed to remember to go back and leave my review a week later? I am so busy the way it is, not being allowed to review 3 days after my item arrives is frustrating.
I've already had customers contact me and ask why they can't leave feedback. I don't physically ship my products - I provide digital services - so my buyers should be able to review very quickly. I can see why etsy implemented this "waiting period" but it would be great if there was a way that individual shop owners could choose to turn this feature off if it doesn't really apply to their shop.
1. How much trouble would it be to add (in addition to the PURCHASE link) a FEEDBACK link at the top of the etsy page next to YOUR ACCOUNT?
Customers are having a terrible time finding it.
The easier it is to find the more it will be used.
2. I ship my items ASAP 10 days is way too long. I changed my shipping profile to 1 business day. will this shorten the time a FEEDBACK can be left?
Love it so far.
I hope you still love it a month from now. We shall all see how it works and make more educated decisions after it is fully implemented and used for a while.
I'm disappointed that 'buyers' won't be rated. I think feedback is a two way street and there should be a way to address a less than steller rating. I've received threatening emails before saying "Do this or I will leave you negative feedback" or customers who are abusive. It would be nice to see their ratings so we can determine if it's a one time thing or if we are dealing with a customer trying to work the system. I see forums all the time where customers encourage each other to abuse the feedback system to get items for free or refunds where refunds aren't due as they know we are at the mercy of feedback.
I believe this will make the threats of negative feedback worse. We will have no ability to negotiate, either stand up for ones self and get negative feedback or cave into their requests.
Because it was too time consuming?

These changes, as well as decline in non-payment issues, reduce the need for rating buyers. Sellers who took our survey revealed that rating buyers was a tedious task — and in
Quoted here in it's entirety
"These changes, as well as decline in non-payment issues, reduce the need for rating buyers. Sellers who took our survey revealed that rating buyers was a tedious task — and in fact, buyer scores were rarely viewed. So, buyers will no longer be rated in the new system."
Have to agree that I'd like to be able to see buyer ratings - especially when dealing with custom orders.
100% agree. The only people who have left or threatened neutral/positive feedback in my shop have been people trying to scam me, keep the product and get a refund. This has happened VERY rarely, but I agree, this will change the climate for sellers in a very negative way.
Leaving buyer feedback was tedious as I go through monthly and determine who;s order was shipped and if everything was okay before I leave them feedback. I have 500+ pieces of feedback waiting to be left because Etsy doesn't have search functionality at all put in place so I have to manually review each order to ensure complete satisfaction.
I completely agree, I've had many buyersesve threats to leave negative feedback if I can't bend over backwards and so on, since there is nothing we can do as shop owners, it's really unfair. I would also like to be able to reply to great feedback left. Every feedback system I've seen allows the seller to comment back, which I always see as a strength of the seller when they take time out to write.
Completely unfair. The opposite of what we have been asking for as sellers here.
You guys have turned Etsy into eBay! If I wanted to sell on eBay, I would have been selling my stuff there. We wanted feedback that protected us sellers! Now that you've removed our ability to leave feedback for buyers, the threat of leaving negative feedback is a reality - not an empty threat! This so so unfair1
Exactly, it makes absolutely no logical sense what so ever... A shipping calculator or shipping options (1st class, priority, express etc...) would've been more practical... Etsy might as well get rid of the feedback/review system all together, it is absolutely useless... :/
I have to agree here.. this is looking a lot like eBay.
I definitely use the buyers feedback. If I'm concerned about how a transaction will go I check out their feedback. I've had a customer with almost all neg feedback, since it was a custom order request I just declined it from that point.
I completely agree. As a buyer here on Etsy, as well as a seller, I want other buyers who I buy from to see that I am a good buyer. If someone has a bad experience with a buyer, this should be made known.

I want to make sure I'm buying from a reputable seller AND I also want to sell to reputable buyers.
Lacey, no kidding. Sellers are left in the dust again with no regards to them and their lively hoods. Just leaves us open for unfair demands. Not that all buyers are demanding but I have had a few in my time
I agree! Buyers should be rated too. If I buy something I can rate the seller on the product and my overall experience but the seller can't rate me? Unfair as I am a good buyer and should get credit for it, just as I get credit for being a good seller!
So because buyer feedback is "tedious" for BIG sellers, smaller shops who enjoy communicating with customers by leaving feedback when our transactions are pleasurable, are NOW at the mercy of any blackmailing buyer?
Or better yet, at the mercy of blackmailing buyers who can now purchase, leave a positive review, and then within 60 days DEMAND to keep the item and receive a full refund changing to an "angry" review because the seller does not accommodate their whims? Oh Good Grief!!!
Buyers dont really need to be rated. If they pay, thats all that should be expected of them. What we need is the opportunity to reply to poor feedback ratings, so our own feedback can be better understood.
I agree I have been intimidated by a buyervwho has an Etsy shop. Shecopened a PayPal and Etsy case for non receipt. She did get the items and PayPal actually refunded her out of their pocket. Both cases closed in my favor and I am still afraid of her she is so abusive. And by the way she has the item and refund.
I agree with louise49. It's so hard to see a low rating which may be no fault of the seller and have the inability to respond. It makes you feel helpless over what's happening to your business.
I agree. These changes are extremely discouraging, to put it mildly - and how you think this makes things more transparent is beyond me.

I'm now actively working on moving my shop off Etsy....there are other places where Sellers receive more support and fees are lower.

I liked Etsy previously but the recent changes have been pretty appalling....very disappointing.
I am with those who feel we should be able to leave feedback for buyers. And they too should be able to work out problems.

I recently had a buyer who I was very leery to sell to. I read the feedback she left for others. But I didn't follow my gut.

So many problems with this buyer and bad mouthing ETY sellers as unprofessional and she spends so much time training us on how to be professional. But she still buys.

I feel she wanted a refund and the item. She threatened bad feedback and to deal with her there.

I just issued a partial refund. I will wait to see what she leaves.

I had 100% POS. I asked for Etsy help, let's see what happens.

If I wanted Stars I would go to Ebay.
Etsy Please listen to your sellers!!
I also want to leave and be able to read buyer feedback. The flawed logic of "no one ever looked at it, so we got rid of it" doesn't sit well with me. No one searched through it, BECAUSE WE COULDN'T READ IT (yep, yelling, sorry.) Unless we went to a seller's page and tried to match up what they 'left for others' to figure out if a buyer was on the up and up. This solution is not transparency.
I felt horribly guilty because I couldn't keep up with buyer feedback. It wasn't just that it was tedious, it was that I didn't have enough time in the day to effectively run an Etsy shop and find time to review orders to make sure everything was fine and write genuine, non-spammy feedback.

However, I am disappointed by the inability to reply publicly to bad customers. This is a mistake.
Agree, it's ebay all over again.
And it doesn't matter one bit what we say, they will do as they please, just like ebay.
UNLESS....
They want to show us they are BETTER than ebay, and listen to reason.
Agreed! With the old/ancient Etsy, the seller could leave readable feedback. And as I recall, a few buyers had pretty terrible track records. This function really helped the seller avoid any nightmares or surprises.
I am in complete agreement with Lacey in regards of eliminating buyer feedback. As I am now just opening a shop, I want to show my appreciation for their purchases.

Currently, sellers have the option of leaving feedback or not. Fine. Why take this option away from the rest of us who WANT to leave feedback. This will inhibit a solid customer base and I can now count on less repeat business.
In losing repeat customers obviously leads to lower sales volume.

Removing buyer feedback is not a benefit to anyone. Just because some sellers find it "tedious" or "useless" to leave feedback deprives the rest of us to create positive buyer-seller relations as well as supporting the Etsy community as a whole.
As a buyer, I am encouraged to leave feedback on every single item I purchased. It's just as time consuming as it is for sellers. Feedback allows me to positively contribute to the Etsy community. Having sold on eBay for 5 years & dealing with selfish, nasty, cut throat members, I moved here to join a +, helpful & pleasant community. Do not destroy that. Don't "fix" something that isn't broken.
On March 15th I sold a small photo to someone in a foreign country that is noted for packages being 'lost in the mail'. On May 6th I received a convo from the buyer requesting a refund for non-delivery. The photo was shipped in a small photo mailer by First Class International. No customs form was required per USPS personnel. To be continued. . .

Imagine my horror when I checked his feedback and saw that he left 10 (TEN) identical 'Thank you for your refund' feedbacks that day! Seriously? He didn't received ten items that he ordered on Etsy - SCAM! Now there is no way to see this type of feedback.
stunned and dismayed over this, this is so not what we have been asking for. so now if a buyer leaves bad feedback that isn't true then sellers have no recourse at all? that is so not fair
Yep, this sounds just like eBay, which is increasingly hostile to sellers. Not allowing sellers to rate buyers is inviting buyers to abuse the system, and they *will*, it's inevitable, because there are no clear consequences for them.
The FB system has been redesigned to be an open door for scammers. The current scammers are delighted! And all would-be scammers will learn quickly how easy it now is to scam sellers on Etsy.
This is so NOT what Etsy shop owners have asked for. It’s certainly NOT what I had in mind when I completed the survey!! No buyer feedback?? Are you kidding me?? This does nothing but penalize hard working business owners. It gives us ZERO power over our own shops........
.....And yes, there are those customers that will absolutely leave bad feedback for no other reason than they are having a bad day or that they just do not take the time to read shop policies, the shop policies that YOU Etsy, encourage us to write…..For what, if we don’t have a leg to stand on?
I have never considered taking my merchandise to another venue…until now! Good grief!!
Sorry, another question. The # of reviews on my storefront page does not match up with the number of reviews in each item listings.

I understand one includes feedback as a buyer and the other does not, but will these eventually be reconciled so they match? Thank you.

edited for typo
Hey Lauren!

Yeah, we noticed that too. It's going to be reconciled in the next few days as we ramp up. So yeah, the numbers will match soon. :)
Thank you for responding. Great to hear.
Will the numbers be made to 'match up' to the higher number or the lower number?
I am not a fan of my 'feedback' of over 1200 being dropped to 'reviews' of only 738.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:42pm Aug 26, 2013 EDT
Sadly my bet is we will lose out here as they will probably remove all our feedback as buyers. I value my customers and always took the time to leave a nice feedback for them to say thank you, it's a shame etsy is taking this away from us. Way to encourage friendly interactions guys. :/
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:44pm Aug 26, 2013 EDT
I'm also sure everyone's ratings will fall, since as people have mentioned, buyers are far more likely to leave 4 stars than 5, even if the transaction was perfect. So long 100% positive, it was nice knowing you.
Very sad. But very nice for Scammers! Etsy will become "Scammer Heaven"!
I LOVE it. :)
So sellers don't have a way to publically respond to negative/low-star ratings?
Nope not at all - makes abusive customers even worse
If we have no way to respond on the BUYER's page, at least give us a field on OUR page to defend ourselves! Please!
I agree and saw up top (they aren't letting us respond there) that will remove neg reviews that meet the criteria. What about the negatives that the customer never logged back on to fix the problem? Our one and only was from a broken bracelet. I tried to communicate with the buyer and provided a full refund, but no one would know.
this is unfortunate. this is the way ebay became, which made me much less enthused to use it.
Which is why I do not sell on Ebay
Oh no! Did I just stumble on to eBay here? Wait I thought I was at Esty. I'm pretty sure that I have an account on Etsy….mmmmmm sure looks and feels like eBay to me. Maybe Etsy you're not aware of the many sellers that left eBay for these very reasons.
Those of us who went through this nightmare on Ebay in 2008 understand very well what is about to happen to sellers....Incredible demands from abusive buyers who threatens negative feedback if we don't comply....
Sad isn't it? Instead of having a chance to response publicly to the low rated feedbacks, we are being completely muted..
to V Kloch - Maybe "Etsy" will change their name to "EtsyBay"! Isn't the new CEO of Etsy the guy that eBay got rid of?
I love it! As well as looking far more appealing the new system seems more efficient, effective and relevant. The new star rating is great and I love that you have removed the anonimity element. As ever, thank you to everyone for all your hard work! x

*typo*
Hi Emma,
Thanks for you comments! Building on your anonymity note, we're looking forward to seeing more thoughtful reviews from buyers based on this change!
What about the thoughtful reviews us sellers left for our buyers?...etsy is stealing them! My heart goes out to those buyers who have been buying handmade on etsy for years and will loose all their feedback and the comments that went with it. All their wonderful support of individual artists is deemed irrelevant. This is really sad for many wonderful buyers on etsy : ( : ( : (
The fact that there is no public recourse for the seller in the event of a very public negative feedback is totally unfair. I've read the reasoning behind the decision, however it's a complete cop-out.
I agree with you Branwen regarding "no recourse for Sellers to take" .
Every time Etsy implements a major change, it never seems to benefit the Sellers. And YES, Sellers will be more likely to be held as feedback hostages.Sellers complain on these Forums that they are losing SALES, and part of it is due to these bizarre changes made by Etsy without condsidering the Seller's point of view. Sad
New review system is weird and ridiculous.Why do I have to wait to give a seller feedback? I enjoy giving my sellers positive feedback as soon as I get my items, now, for some stupid reason, I have to wait!? Not very encouraging to people who want to be supportive of their sellers. I've had nothing but positive experiences buying from Esty sellers. Giving feedback is a chore now. Ugh.
I agree. I received an item yesterday but have to wait until 12 September until I can leave feedback. That's another two weeks!
i find it interesting that Jane in admin, seems to only make her remarks here on the comments that seem to agree with etsy.........Lets just all ignore the elephant in the room. Yes, change can be good, personally, I dont care whether it is a gold star, percentage, 5 stars, or smiley faces. What I DO care about is the taking away of my very hard earned positive feedback. Also, to be continued.....
In my over 14 years selling online, on ebay, my non paying bidders went up astronimcally after the implementation of the "sellers cant leave true feedback about bad buyers". In all the years leading up to this change, I could count on I think one hand how many were non paying bidders to be contd
AFter the change, I had a couple at least a month. When you implement this, bad buyers can do whatever they want, and we the shop owner have no recourse.
That's what the new management of Etsy wants! They don't want honest, hard-working, people with integrity! We don't make enough money for Etsy. They want the dishonest people to take over and sell the mass-produced, cheap crap so they can make more $$. A person of integrity like me who sells Vintage and Hand-Made BY ME no longer has a place on Etsy.
Terrible move! as a buyer I always want a 2 way conversation!

As a new shop owner myself running my own store using SupaDupa.me (recommended by many on Etsy), I always value feedback from my customers as I believe it gives me a clear advantage and insight into what they may be thinking about the service and products I'm offering. An open dialogue with a discontented buyer is fundamental!

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.