Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Helpful TAGS & SEO For My Shop Please? :)

Hello All!

Having such a blast here on Etsy the past few months! I have been learning soo much and still continue to learn.

I would love some positive feedback concerning tags and keywords for my shop? I find myself repeating many words in trying to come up with variations. HELP!

Thanks In Advance! O.<

3 Responses

www.tools4etsy.com is a site that helped me with my tags and titles.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:15pm Dec 17, 2014 EST
Tools4Etsy uses the Etsy API to pull its data. So the data returned and used is accurate according to Etsy. ( ref: www.etsy.com/developers/documentation/reference/listing#method_find... )

When using Tools4Etsy and your listings are not found using WALL-E ( www.tools4etsy.com/Wall-e/Relevancy/Keyword ) it is simply because your listings are not found in the number of pages searched (default is first 5 pages) on Etsy for the keywords used using the above Etsy API. Also check that the shop name - Etsy shop names do not contain spaces, they are a single word.

The thing to remember when doing search checks on Etsy via the standard website search (that many compare against when questioning accuracy) is that Etsy defaults to a "localized" search when you are logged in. Most Buyers are very rarely local to you and logging in.

As Etsy is a global marketplace, you need to do global searches - this is what the tool does. You can check what the tool sees by clicking on the "xxx Listings found" and be sent to the actual Etsy search used.

Therefore if you are not found then you need to:

1. think like a buyer and not a seller
2. review that you are not doing localized searches
3. review the keywords used to find the Listings
4. review the keywords used in your Tags & Titles

Lastly, Tags and Titles play a very important roll, however are not the only factors in the Etsy Relevancy "Secret Sauce" Algorithm - hundreds of other internal/external factors are used, each with different weightings.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 7:16pm Dec 17, 2014 EST
Here are a bunch of pointers that I have collected over time to help with being visible:

Firstly, from Etsy's help: What are tags - www.etsy.com/help/article/69 Extract: "A tag is a word or short phrase that describes your item. Etsy matches tags with shoppers' searches to find relevant search results.". There are other useful tidbits in the help information.

You can do research on Etsy right in Etsy's search bar - just start typing and popular suggestions appear. Then you can use a tool like: www.tools4etsy.com/Wall-e/Relevancy/Keyword to see where you appear in search + who the top sellers are, the top listings, and the Tags used.

** Titles & Tags are important to Etsy Search (redundancy = relevancy i.e. Tag phrases should be repeated in titles); Description & Titles for SEO (repetition = relevancy, but not duplication; i.e. Titles, each should be unique). Title, Tag and Description (upper/lower) case & punctuation has no importance to Etsy Search & Search Engines like Google & Bing (SEO). When building your Tags, the order of your Tags is not important however the order of the keywords in each Tag is critical. Also the keywords used in the Title must have a one-to-one exact match with the Tags targeting keywords.

** You need to choose descriptive keywords for your titles and very important in placing the strongest words first with Etsy relevancy as "Words that appear at the beginning of your title are given more weight" & "Exact word pairs are given more weight" (www.etsy.com/teams/7718/questions/discuss/8755739/page/1?post_id=95... )! Another reason to front-load your keywords is that Google only displays up to 66 characters of a title in search results, and Etsy's search also only displays approximately 30~40 characters in Gallery mode, so putting the most important words first will help attract the right shoppers as they poke around. Also check out the Etsy 2014 Seller Seminar workbook (page 20: etsy.app.box.com/s/wn778l32ztm9pararbl5 ) - "Put the most descriptive words at the front of your titles and tags".

** Be aware that Etsy sees Categories as having a dual purpose - both as a Category & a Tag. Entering them twice is a waste of a tag.

** According to an Etsy Blog article (ref: blog.etsy.com/en/2013/top-5-steps-to-a-mobile-friendly-shop ): "...item descriptions are truncated on Etsy’s mobile apps after nine lines; aim to keep vital details above the fold.". As Etsy claims that 40%+ views are coming from Mobile devices, your target audience could be missing key information that may be visible "below the 9-line fold".

** Please note that on Etsy, it can take up to an hour for the Listing page (Etsy page cache) to refresh and up to 24 hours for the Listing changes to be fully indexed. ( ref: www.etsy.com/help/article/187 )

** Etsy Blog articles, help links, and a couple of others that should help:
- 10 Ways to Think Like a Buyer - blog.etsy.com/en/2014/10-ways-to-think-like-a-buyer
- Shop Makeover Series: Titles, Descriptions and Tags - blog.etsy.com/en/2011/shop-makeover-titles-descriptions-and-tags/
- Etsy Success: Make Your Shop More Relevant - blog.etsy.com/en/2011/make-your-shop-more-relevant/
- An Etsy worksheet put together to help sellers brainstorm keywords that buyers might use when searching: blog.etsy.com/en/files/2013/08/Unlock-Your-Keywords.pdf
- How do I make sure my items are getting found in Search? - www.etsy.com/help/article/821
- How to Get Found in Search - www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/how-to-get-found-in-search/
- How to Get Found in Browse - www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/how-to-get-found-in-browse/
- How do I improve my shop's Search Engine Optimization (SEO)? - www.etsy.com/help/article/247
- 4 Ways to Improve Your SEO and Increase Your Traffic - blog.etsy.com/en/2013/4-ways-to-improve-your-seo/
- How to Write Enticing Item Descriptions - blog.etsy.com/en/2012/how-to-write-enticing-item-descriptions (Note: Whilst some of these blog posts have been around for a while, they are still very relevant)
- Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide - static.googleusercontent.com/media/www.google.com/en/us/webmasters/...

** Etsy mentioned in an Admin Q&A thread (may 16th, 2014) that Etsy (eg: Treasuries) & external (eg: Facebook) inbound links will help with improving a Listing's Relevancy. Listing new, relisting and renewing all equally give a Listing's relevancy a boost.

** A great post on SEO Myths you should NOT believe: www.etsy.com/teams/7722/discussions/discuss/12878519

** Google Shopping has some very strict guidelines that you need to adhere to before Google will accept your listings. Here are some helpful tips from an Etsy seller: www.etsy.com/teams/10927/team-blugrin/discuss/14924678 & here are Google's guidelines: support.google.com/merchants/answer/188484

** Lastly, here is a tool that compares Etsy Tags side-by-side: www.tools4etsy.com/tagwars

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.