Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Paid for time?

I was recently asked to crochet a wool afghan for a coworker. She purchased all the wool (and OMG, how thankful am I for that because it cost her plenty), but she keeps offering to pay me for the time it will take to make it. I have no idea what to charge her. She doesn't want a huge afghan, but even the smaller ones take a goodly amount of time for my full time working self. Any suggestions for what I should charge?
Translate

3 Responses

Well...let me ask you this. Wouuld you be crocheting it anyway? I mean, what would you be doing in the meantime if you weren't making this? Would you be making something to sell? Have you already determined how much you want to make an hour?

If it takes you 4 hours to make a blanket and you ask her for $20 you're making $5...which in my state is less than min. wage. But if that's all you want, then that's great. I sometimes charge less than min. if I find it worth it in terms of making a connection or in you case a coworker.

Good luck!
Translate
When I have had this request from friends and family I sometimes "trade". I feel funny asking for money but have no problem with their bringing in my mail, watching the pet fish, stuffing envelopes for a mailing, etc. Would something like that work for you? Or for fun how about a dozen cookies a week for a month?
Translate
Well, she is my boss! So that alone makes me afraid to ask for too much. castocreations asked me if I'd be working on another project if it wasn't this and the answer is definitely. I just don't want to offend her but at the same time I know she has no idea how much effort can go into a project like this. I guess I should just come out and ask her what she thinks is fair and go from there. It's really tough when close friends and family make custom requests because I always feel like I'm uncharging myself.
Translate

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.