Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Craft Show Smartassery

Okay, I'm getting ready to start doing "real" shows, and I've done a lot of reading about the comments people make. I've come up with replies for a couple, what can you add?

Customer: Why is this so expensive? I know the materials can't have cost you more than _________

Me: For the same reasons artists charge for more than the cost of their paint. I like to think that my skilled labor is worth something.

~

Customer: But I could make this myself!

Me: Really? You have a 3,000 dollar professional jeweler's torch and polishing setup? That's awesome!

~

Customer: Ohhhh, what a good idea! I'm going to have to have my (hubby, mother, friend) make me one just like it.

Me: Ah. Most professionals have more integrity than to copy another artist's work, but I can see if they were just starting out, they might not know that.

224 Responses

LOL I must say I was totally drawn to this thread by the great title you gave it! :)

This is why I never lasted long as a cashier. It's easier for me to be polite selling my own goods. I HATED having to stick up for a store I didn't really believe in to customers that were less than polite.

Customer: Why is this so expensive? I know the materials can't have cost you more than _________

Me: My prices are based on many factors, including the time it took to make the piece. If you like, have a look around and comparison shop. You'll find that handmade pieces are of such high quality that they demand a quality price. If you like, I offer a (x amount) discount for new customers on my online shop. Here is my business card.

--

Customer: But I could make this myself!

Me: Really? Maybe we could swap trade secrets one day. Here is my business card. I also offer other similar items, if you're interested.

Customer: Really, I think I could just go ahead and make one.

Me: Well, have a look around. If you decide to make the piece yourself, I would love to see it. You'll find my contact information on my business card.

--

Customer: Ohhhh, what a good idea! I'm going to have to have my (hubby, mother, friend) make me one just like it.

Me: Oh, maybe they would be interested in attending a craft show to sell their wares as well! I would love to see their finished product. Here's my business card so you know how to contact me. If you change your mind, I will be here until (x time).

--

I'm sure others have their answers as well. I just grit my teeth and be polite, and always try to give them my business card. As well, I encourage them to have a look around the other vendors' tents. More often than not, they'll either buy on the spot or come back later. ;)

I wish you all the best. I know it can be frustrating!
I've got nothing. Just had to say that I love the word 'smartassery'! :)
hahahah, great answers! thanks so much for the laugh!
As a photographer, I hear all the time "I could take that picture".....
Okay then, go for it, I think!
That is why I hate doing shows!
This thread is hilarious.
Jet, my sweet..I love your term "smartassery". Another Jetism.
Great answers, except smartarsery is probably not the best approach toward potential customers...as satisfying & well-deserved as those retorts might be.
Last year at a huge busy Christmas bazaar I had a woman actually stop the traffic flow of people to stoop down and take a picture of one of my big pieces!!! I was busy helping a customer at the time or I would have said something to her. Thank goodness I had a loyal customer look at her and say "not cool". It still shocks me to this day!
I do have to say that I've never had anyone question my prices compared to what my supplies might cost or say to my face that they could make it themselves and I've done a LOT of shows!
Oh boy. I'm about to do a show. I'm just a super friendly, non-combative person in general and I'm shocked people say things like that.
and by "like that" I mean... demand answers regarding your prices, items, etc. I can understand legit questions regarding allergy info etc if you are interested in a piece, but if they want to make it themselves then I hope they would keep it to themselves and move on. I guess it doesn't always work out that way :)

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.