Close

Discussions

This topic has been closed.

A brand’s failure to target customers

I went into the “So Good Jewelry” store located on Powell street in San Francisco yesterday. It’s the only big chain of jewelry in San Francisco. Probably three or four stores in SF in total.

From the ambiance of the store – pink walls and pop music, I can tell it’s just like Claire’s, targeting young and fashion girls.

However, while checking out all its listings, I got confused about the brand position because the product categorization was so disorganized and the pricing range was as huge as from two bucks to 75!

Who would like to buy a $75 jewelry in a place that sells things at only two dollars? BMW’s 7 series are only about three times more expensive than its 3 series. Seems the 75/2 gap is way too huge…The consequence is that the comparatively high-end users will be driven away as they won’t buy pricy stuff from a cheap brand.

Furthermore, the store seems to try to sell everything it can scrape together in the world. You can see all the different types of jewelry there, cheap plastic bracelets, premium-looking metal earrings, poorly-polished crystal necklaces, so on and on. Good quality, poor quality are seen all together.

It actually send to customers a very confusing message. Is the brand selling some crap that I can just get it on the street or selling well-designed stuff with good quality?

As I learned from a brand positioning book, when a brand tries to tell people it has everything, it actually leave people remember nothing. Because a brand is the sign in customers’ mind that differentiates your products from those of competitors. The products have to carry a strong unique characteristic to make the sign work. Otherwise, the brand has very poor or even no position at all. P&G has been generally recoganized as the branding master among marketers for decades. When it names a product, it always offers a unique and relevant name to each product, such as Head & Shoulders for shampoo, Tide for washing powder, Olay for skin lotion instead of generalizing the names to “P&G shampoo” or “P&G toothpaste”. The unique names can be strongly associated with the products to each customer and thus add a lot more value to the master brand – P&G.

As for So Good Jewelry, there’re just too many types of products of too many price categories. Failing to target customers means no possibility to cultivate a brand even though it has four chain stores spread out already.

For my Spicy Spirit(goodluckelle.etsy.com), my targeted audiences are people who seek premium and fashion jewelry with good quality but with affordable price. I’m learning now how to attract more customers with an optimal pricing system for online shoppers. Probably my current price is a little bit too high and I need to be careful too as customers don’t like a brand that depreciates its product too much or too fast.

As a conclusion, effectively targeting consumers are key to a brand’s success. To achieve that, a clear positioning and a reasonable pricing system are in need.

To know more about spicy spirit, please visit:
www.spicyspirit.com

Thank you!

44 Responses

You have a wide variety of things! Is this all handmade by you goodluckelle? If so, that's impressive!
what a variety!
Oh they are not handmade by me but my supplier workshop! Thank you :-)
goodluckelle says:
Oh they are not handmade by me but my supplier workshop! Thank you :-)
________
You can only list things made by YOU. Or, you can be a collective, but you must list all members of the collective and what they do. "Supplier workshop" isn't allowed!
goodluckelle, something like this would have to be made by you in order to sell it on Etsy

www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30429065

Etsy is a made-by-you or your small approved collective site, unless you are selling supplies or vintage items (vintage is over 20 years old). You might not know this so a friendly head's up :)
giggle.........
snort..........(really)
too much wine.....
Oh, and your thoughts on branding were very good - - thank you for sharing your insight because you have some thought provoking ideas about how much *range* people might expect while shopping a store. Off to ponder...
DesignedByLucinda
DesignedByLucinda says:
goodluckelle, something like this would have to be made by you in order to sell it on Etsy

www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30429065

Etsy is a made-by-you or your small approved collective site, unless you are selling supplies or vintage items (vintage is over 20 years old). You might not know this so a friendly head's up :)

This is true ..... please check with etsy admin ...as far as you just stated these items are NOT made by you and can not be sold here .....

just to let you know what the deal is , surely you must have not been aware ... Good Luck with your new HANDMADE items !
thanks for the info on branding too !
interesting...

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.