Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Fabric for non-commercial use only!

Anybody seen this before? I just came across a fabric that said that on the selvage today. Too bad, too, since it was a real nice looking design.

On a side note, if the selvage doesn't say anything to that affect, is it safe to assume that it is okay to use for commercial purposes?

68 Responses

I have never seen that before. But how can they dictate what the fabric is used for?
Very good question, Vivyscloset! I don't see how they can do that.
There are lots of fabrics that say that! You can write letters to companies asking for permission ... that's what I did! Some will say yes, and some will say no, and some will say yes but no on certain designs.
I've heard of it before and have no idea how they can do that. I guess some designers want their fabrics being used only by a consumer.
MooreMagnets says
There are lots of fabrics that say that! You can write letters to companies asking for permission ... that's what I did! Some will say yes, and some will say no, and some will say yes but no on certain designs.
As MooreMagnets says, there are lots of fabrics that say that, and I'm finding that more and more are saying that. I've done the same thing, I've written to the designer to get permission to use them, and I've only had one say no.

That's weird, I've never heard of it before! I would think maybe "not for resale" but not "personal use only".
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 10:05 pm Jun 24, 2011 EDT
I haven't seen that before, either. Thanks for the post.
I have seen it on fabric with copyrighted or trademarked characters such as Disney charactars and sports team logos.
lots of fabrics say that, but pattern companies also say it and have no legal standing to do so.

If there's a trademarked character or logo on it, I would avoid using it, though.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.