Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

USPS "In Transit" -- not accurate?

Hello,

I have several packages from USPS that say "in transit" when I view the tracking and they've said that for about a month now. The thing is, two of those three packages have been delivered for sure (despite saying "in transit") because I have positive feedback from those buyers.

The other package still says "in transit," but the buyer has opened both a PayPal and Etsy dispute against me. It's been 1 month since the package was mailed and it's an APO, so it's possible it truly is in transit, but I have a feeling it's not.

Anyway, I'm really upset about this because Paypal said, "we're holding your money until the package arrives" and I've contacted the buyer several times, who's treated me horrendously while I've been nothing but gracious and patient (very difficult to do, believe me). I'm still waiting on Etsy's response to the opened dispute.

What can I do if USPS tracking says "in transit?" Is it common for USPS to not update, as they did in the case of the other two packages I mentioned above? If so, what am I supposed to do? I'm literally being harassed by this buyer, I no longer have the money from the transaction (as paypal is holding it) and my Etsy reputation is on the line. I'm really upset and don't know what to do.

I know this will probably get closed, even though I genuinely need help here. If anyone has any insight, feel free to contact me via pm or here.

13 Responses

anyone?
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 12:09am Aug 10, 2011 EDT
If it's an APO, you should have a customs number as well. Try searching that number. I've never heard "in transit" and I work for USPS, but that could be because it's a Delivery Confirmation which is going through Customs.

The trouble is with that, is once it leaves US soil, there is no way for USPS to continue to track it. I'd try the customs number, see what you get and if you get some kind of information, then call or visit your local post office tomorrow and have them track in through the internal website. That gives a lot more information than what's available at usps.com.
So sorry for the troubles. Have you tried anyone at your local Post Office? Sometimes they are really helpful, other times not so much. I have never had an item say in transit after it was delivered, although I am not high volume. As for APO I have no clue.

Just wanted you to no someone was out there, lol.
Thank you...I'm really struggling over here. I will call USPS tomorrow. Anything in particular i should say/ask for? Should I call the most recent USPS it was located at or mine?
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 12:47am Aug 10, 2011 EDT
No, just call your own or 1-800-ASK-USPS. They should be able to provide you with the information on when it arrived at customs. Now that I stopped to think about it, I'm sure that's what happened, because USPS only can track to a certain point with Delivery Confirmation, after it enters Customs, that's a completely different agency.

Your customer is just going to have to be understanding and one month is no time at all for international shipping, which is what an APO really is. But once you get some info from USPS, you'll at least have a little more ammo to use with her.

USPS can't release all the information to you,, as it's secretive, Homeland Security stuff (for some reason) - says so when they plug in the number "Under no circumstances should this information be released to the general public" - but they can certainly give you a date that it entered customs and I think there may be an estimated time of arrival at the opposite end, too.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 12:48am Aug 10, 2011 EDT edited
Actually, you may be able to call now, I think it's 24/7 - the toll free number.

Where the other two that arrived safely also APOs?
No, but they were international. I'd have no clue they arrived, either, but the buyers did leave feedback. I am going to call the number now.
Can they give me a date when the package was delivered (if it already was)?
They are closed, but I will definitely call tomorrow. I can't wait until this is sorted out.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.