Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Do I need Insurance to sell Handmade Soap

If I was considering making handmade soap and selling it on Etsy.....do I need to have liability insurance or proof of liability insurance in order to sell soap....or can I just make it and sell it....I see hundreds of soap shops on Etsy...do they all have special insurance to cover damages in case someone breaks out from their soap and if so....how do we as a buyer know which shops actually are covered and which are not?

22 Responses

No, you do not legally need insurance, but it's highly recommended.
Even if the tests are done on every batch of soap? before u sell it? i want to make soap, but hear i need to have this insurance.... But i feel i wont make my money out of it by selling it, to cover the insurance... I have family with diff. allergies that will be testing these soaps out before they were ever put on here.
anyone?
If anyone wants they can convo me instead of posting here....
The answer is no. I used to sell handmade soap, and plan on selling here in the near future. You don't need insurance.
Thank you Marshmallowandlily :)
I would like everyones opinions on here if u can all pitch in :)
I run a vintage shop, but hope to open a shop to sell soap and other products in the future, so have looked into all this.

Legally, you do not need insurance.

But it is a VERY good idea to buy it anyway. If anyone uses your soap and gets a rash or any other type of reaction, they could indeed sue you. In my opinion, it would be foolish to sell without it, as you never know what could happen. They call it 'insurance' for a reason.

A lot of soapers here on Etsy have insurance. A lot of them buy through the Soap Guild. I do believe it's about $500 a year for a million dollars of coverage.
Is there anyway to pay it monthly? and what soap guild?

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.