Sign in to participate in this discussion.

Protect IPA/SOPA Act could affect artists and their use of the internet for creative purposes

Show Thread Summary

455 Responses

go here to sign the petition:
Thank you, Etsy for taking a public stand.
This is what I wrote in the e-mail to my representatives when signing the petition. Link to petition is below.

"I ask you, in the name of all that America stands for, to stop this bill from being passed. That the government and a few corporations should have the ability to censure is totally un-American.

Corporations need to recuse themselves from any participation of censoring other businesses. Corporations are for profit and would use this bill/tool to hinder the profitability of 'rival' business entities. This should be a no-brainer to any thinking person.

Governments have no business in the running of internet enterprises other than to set standards that are used to self-police within that enterprise. Less government, not more, has been the battle cry for decades of politicians and the people they represent. It's now time to walk your talk and prove yourselves to be truth speakers not just shills of big corporations.

Thank you for doing the hard job of listening to your hearts, not your wallets."

My senators keep hearing from me. When I write them I do tell them I sell on Etsy and why I am against this bill. Also, received a petition from Bold Progressive and signed it.

Bold Progressive is also offering some html code to blackout your website and join the online protest.

I'm not that knowledgable about the proposed legislation, but it seems to me it is about copyrights not censorship?
Not sure if this has been mentioned but there is also this this petition - this site is very good for causes and I've signed several of the petitions here and have never had a problem with getting spam, etc. after the fact.
See the Etsy home page now -- our message is up. Thanks for everyone's support!
Thank you!
thumbs up, Etsy!
Will this prevent, as an example, someone who wants to make and sell handmade crocheted "Mickey Mouse" potholders, or am I misunderstanding how it will effect us?

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.