Sign in to participate in this discussion.

SOPA - who's staying Open?

I have to ask this...I've been reading where people are saying they will be closing their Etsy shop for the day (going on Vacation mode) in protest....

I understand the idea behind the SOPA blackout..(I keep wanting to write "SOAP" LOL)...but I'm not in support of losing business for that day...I mean, you never know what might happen buyer-wise in a shop. Etsy Admin already said in another thread that the site itself won't be a part of this, for those wondering.

I'm curious how many of you are staying open tomorrow? I am.

1 Highlighted Response

Leslie from SabiKat

Changed from SabiSpike on Sep 30, 2015

1:39 am Jan 18, 2012 EST
Please find an update on this important issue here:

139 Responses

while I fully support major sites blacking out, my own teeny business can't afford to lose any slight opportunity to make money :(
I need to stay open, but that doesn't mean I don't find protesting against SOPA to be extremely important! :)
I am. I would have to read and understand the bill before I could have an opinion on it to be honest.
We've never heard of SOPA so why should we close?
Just looked it up - cannot condone piracy but not sure what difference closure of shops would achieve.
I am not willing to lose business either. This will be interesting to watch.
As far as I know SOPA got killed. For now anyway.
SOPA won't stop piracy. It really isn't about that at all, but that's what they're trying to sell it to us as.
I can afford to symbolically close this shop, I can't close my primary sop.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.