Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

I Support SOPA

Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:01pm Jan 17, 2012 EST
Do you care about your art?

Please don't be fooled by those saying this would somehow shut down Etsy.

There is lengthy due process involved in shutting down any site which is reported.

Everyone complains about resellers and here is a way to stop them!

This legislation protects us from resellers and counterfeiters and was actually called for by the music, movie and fashion industry as they found the existing laws were not enough to protect their copyrighted material overseas.

This simply means offending sites will have to actually enforce their TOU's instead of relying on us to report offenders.

1 Highlighted Response

An update has been posted on this important issue here:
www.etsy.com/teams/7722/business-topics/discuss/9310065/page/1

1348 Responses

Great post! Thank you for sharing.
The way is is written Etsy would be shutdown in a heartbeat.
Sorry sister. I can't back you on this one.
I don't think it would do much for resellers. That isn't illegal (nor would it be with SOPA), it just isn't allowed on Etsy.

Oh, and I don't support SOPA.
James do you have the link handy? I only read it once and I could have misinterpreted it.
Exactly Michelle ~ SOPA has nothing to do with etsy resellers.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:06pm Jan 17, 2012 EST
Cindy - I can respect your opinion :-)

James - no way, we DO still live in America. And actually sites like Etsy are unlikely to be shut down as I'm sure they would take any complaints seriously and would comply.
Default avatar
Inactive Etsy Member 9:07pm Jan 17, 2012 EST edited
Actually, resellers are a significant problem when they sell items which contain copyrighted material from another artist.
What about craigslist? If someone sells bootleg merchandise on that site they could be shut down. Do you think that is fair?

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.