Close

Discussions

Sign in to participate in this discussion.

[removed] Theft of OUR Pictures/Crafts Alibaba.com edited

I have been on a bit of a Crusade these past few days since I found MY Craft and MY picture on a listing from a Chinese Mass Production Vendor on Alibaba.com
I have found more Artisans that were Stolen From on Etsy and Artfire and I am continuing to Alert them. Some say, "Oh there is Nothing we can do" BUT There is, we must hold a vigil against these Thieves. They make it look like WE are buying mass produced items and selling them as Handmade.
Please see my Blogg on my incident here:
blogg.sixdirectionstraders.com/2012/02/chinese-stealing-our-crafts-...
You need to sign into the Alibaba website to make a formal complaint, or use your FB to sign in. I have started a FB page "Alibaba.com Contributes to Theft of Artisans" if you want to upload screenshots of your Thefts and help me to Alert other Artists to this issue.
It is Always Best to watermark your pictures in some way, however... like MY Thief, they can remove it to post the picture. But our Venues (Etsy, Artfire) should have proper proof of when we first uploaded the picture in our listing. Apparently this has been going on for some time with this company, here are more interesting links to read up on:
US Senator Stabenow investigating Chinese jewelry rip-off
everyone-have.com/everyone-have/stabenow-investigating-chinese-jewe...
Miss Lehmens Blog about the above incident:
studiojewel.blogspot.com/2011/12/when-china-giant-goes-after-little...
Thank you for listening, and Please Arm Yourself with Knowledge and Pass it along.
Your friendly neighborhood Spiderwrulf
Spiderwrulf@gmail.com

94 Responses

WOW, not even 1 reply? This concerns ALL Artisans. I have found MOST infringements are right here from Etsy.
I'll give this a boost. It is a big concern and I hope you can get your situation resolved.
I'm bumping this up for you.
I've had photos stolen and used on alibaba too and even tho I went thru all the motions to fix it, nothing happened. It is disheartening, but in the end, I have plenty of proof that I am the original designer and photographer, so I don't spend a lot of time stressing over it. I can't control what happens there, I can only control what happens here.
Hmmm. I don't think my items are on there. How would I check tho?
They had my pictures on there too. I stayed up until the guy was on live chat ( 3:00 in the morning) and told him to take them down. He took them down and I also reported the shop. They will go and find other pictues to take and use. Thats what that guy did.
I found my photos were stolen by a Chinese Mfg also. He put his own Copyright on my photos from here on my Etsy listing.
But..and here is the catch:
The actual description of the item is completely different than what I sell, different Fabric, and much smaller in size...poor customers are not getting what is actually shown.
I think we've all gone thru this, I found mine several times. I simply contact them with a cease and desist letter and luckily they have been removed each time. If not you can contact the site directly and go from there. I have so much proof my items are mine that I'm not truly concerned people think i'm a reseller, I'm more concerned at the poor customers purchasing from those companies thinking they are actually getting that product (cuz they aren't for sure)
this is a continual problem.

the bottomline issue is that the ripoff shops know that they cannot be prosecuted. And that their country turns a blind eye/ear to this type of intellectual theft. It has been going on for years and it isn't going to stop until/unless...

big companies stop doing business with them over it. Like Apple. That makes 100% of their products in China and similar countries. Personally, I'll buy an iPad when it is made in a country that respects copyright laws.

So, Apple, pick one. There are a lot to choose from. Heck, you can even make your stuff in the US.

I get it, OP, that you're upset, but again, this is a much larger problem than taking photos. I get convos every week from folks I 'presume' are from that part of the world...asking me how I do what I do....

keep in mind that these companies aren't innovators...but they are mimics.

Good luck with your crusade.

Unfollow username?

Are you sure you want to stop following this person?

Report a post

Thank you for taking time to help Etsy! Please note that you will not receive a personal response about this report. We will review this post privately.

Why are you reporting this post?

Any additional comments?

Edit Post

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Edit Reply

Edit your post below. After editing, the post will be marked as edited and the date & time of the last edit displayed.

Enter at least 15 characters. 400 remaining.

Close

What is this?

Admin may choose to highlight awesome community posts that are friendly, answer questions, and offer informative links.

What does it do?

Highlighted posts are placed at the top of each page in a thread for greater visibility.