Gardens of Etsy Propagate Plants?

Gardens of Etsy has the following requirements:

~ If you love gardening, nature and the great outdoors you are most welcome here.
~ When you find some free time come sit and relax with us in the garden. All of your suggestions, initiatives and your time involved to help the team grow and prosper are welcome and truly appreciated.
Please feel free to dive right in and get your hands dirty.

What is your method? Do you do this? Or do you grow from seed?

Posted at 7:54pm Apr 23, 2012 EDT

I've rooted a few different plants (mostly herbs) from cuttings. In fact, I have quite a happy little sage plant on my windowsill that I rooted from a leftover sprig in a packet of cut sage I had bought at the grocery store for cooking.

To root the cutting, I just stick it in a cup of water and place it on a sunny windowsill for a couple of weeks. It doesn't work for everything, but it's an easy method and I usually have pretty good luck doing that (I even got a bell pepper seedling to re-grow its roots that way after I accidentally broke the stem transplanting it).

I'm interested in hearing what others do to propagate.

Posted at 8:47pm Apr 23, 2012 EDT

I repot my plants often to find a new look for one of my plant hangers. I have often taken a big potted aloe or shamrock out of the pot & separate them into smaller pots to make more plants. I have over 100 houseplants now! lol

Spider plants are the easiest. You just put the baby ones in a small container keeping the bottom in water & roots grow fast!

I also often do like Anna said above. I found some cool magic water beads that when used in a clear glass bowl really make the cuttings more colorful.

I could go on & on & on about growing plants! I love them!

Posted at 9:59pm Apr 23, 2012 EDT

I love starting new plants in water, but for more delicate plants like African Violets, I have had great success using a cloning gel. I have grown so many violets, vines and other plants from clippings, I have to give them away to friends and family whenever I can :-) Have fun!

Posted at 10:20pm Apr 23, 2012 EDT

I have rooting hormone myself, although I have not used it yet (as it is a violation of federal law to sell plants made with it).

I am currently replicating blue junipers, and am attempting to root a fukien tea (and other succulents) with cinnamon and chopped willow leaves. Before I tried sugar water and wet soil, but all I could do was make my cuttings rot. I took my remaining plants and am now trying this. It has been 3 weeks (including the sugar water days), and I have no signs of roots for anything but a couple of the blue junipers.

What else can I do for the succulents/bonsai?

I would use rooting hormone, but I plan to sell the cuttings with my planters/pots... Any ideas? I am also trying to air propagate my fukien tea by wrapping a scarred lower half with cut willow leaves/shoots, and left leaves at the top...

Posted at 4:34pm Apr 24, 2012 EDT

Sounds like you have tried all I can think of :{ I use rooting hormone but I also don't sell plants.Sorry i'm not much help :p

Posted at 11:22am May 2, 2012 EDT

Thats fine. I got some help on some other forums! Thanks though!

Posted at 9:15pm May 4, 2012 EDT

Jeremy says
Edited on Aug 8, 2012

I try to propogate anything I can with whatever method works. I haven't tried air layering yet, but next year my raspberry will get that treatment. I have plastic quart containers all over the backyard filled with several types of succulents and I will be transplanting the strawberry runners once they put down roots. My wife and I also started saving our seeds so this spring planting will be interesting.

Posted at 1:53am Aug 8, 2012 EDT

Drew - where did you hear that it is illegal to sell plants produced with rooting hormone? Are you referring to selling patented plants?
I work for a commercial nursery and everyone in the industry produces plants using rooting hormones.

Posted at 8:12am Aug 18, 2012 EDT

supermarket vegetables are such a great source for cheap seeds and productive plants. I tested this year, because i always thought you couldn´t grow anything out of vegetables from the supermarket. so I took a few seeds from bell peppers and mini bell peppers we bought and dried them. this spring I planted them like all my other peppers and there you go. the plants are healthy, produce nicely and still the peppers taste way better than the ones from the market. :-)

Posted at 8:06am Aug 22, 2012 EDT