Craft Fairs... it's a living! What percentage of craft fair attendees actually buy?

Craft Fairs... it's a living! has the following requirements:

Craft Fair vendors, farmer's market vendors, or if you want to start selling your wares in person.

This question came up in my Facebook vendor forum today. Does anyone have any stats (or personal guess) as to what percentage of art and craft fair / festival / market attendees actually buy some thing? Or maybe for example: if a show has 50 vendors there needs to be 2,500 people in attendance before sales seem to be good for people. Any thoughts?

Posted at 9:33am Nov 29, 2012 EST

Any thoughts?? I find that yearly craft fairs must have several thousand (say 3,000 minimum in attendance to support 50-75 vendors. And that's about a 5X booth fee worth of sales. More traffic would result in a better show.

Posted at 11:34am Nov 29, 2012 EST

I've been wondering this too. I would think most are planning on buying something, especially if they had to pay a dollar to get in. But I know I didn't always used to. I used to like to just look. I do buy now that I know how important it is to support my fellow crafter/ artist. I always wish I could buy more!

Posted at 11:56am Nov 29, 2012 EST

My husband and I were having this discussion just this week ... we've been comparing some stats that we've seen and been told ...

website traffic ... 100 views and pretty soon a sale.
craft fair traffic ... 100 people and pretty soon a sale.

We're wondering if this 100:1 ratio or 1 percent is a good average for non-specific targeted market type groups of people?

I'll try to say that better ... if I have very targeted marketing, I expect the ratio is higher.

So if I'm in a craft fair that is my general target audience (women 35-50) can I reasonablly expect a 1% purchase rate?

Since I'm a rookie, I'm interested to hear what the veterans have to offer from experience.

Posted at 7:48am Nov 30, 2012 EST

Liz from LizArti says

Elisa, I think you're on the right track - My guess is depends on how many vendors there are in relation to how many visitors and what sort of event.

At a holiday craft fair, I'd expect almost 100% of visitors to buy. At a street or music festival, I'd guess much less.

At a street festival I do there are ~40,000 visitors, 400 vendors and I sell ~30-40 items. That seems pretty neat :)

At a very small farmer's market I did this fall, there were visitors in the hundreds, just a few non-food vendors and I sold almost as much as the big street fair! (It was a cold day with lots of kids needing hats)

Interesting question to ponder.

Posted at 8:22am Nov 30, 2012 EST

crudeco from crudeco says

I have noticed this year that attendance is down, but purchasing is up. Most all the customer's browsing have packages in their hands.

And I've notice a increase is vendors buying from one another. Maybe people are more free to make purchases this year without worry.

Posted at 8:31am Nov 30, 2012 EST

I've heard this statistic: 10% of visitors will buy something. If there are 1,000 visitors, 100 will make a purchase. If there are 50 booths, that's an average of two sales per booth. (Note the word "average" - some will sell more, others less.) It's a guideline, of course - there are lots of other influences to factor in. But it's worth considering.

Posted at 9:14am Nov 30, 2012 EST

I've done shows where there was 30,000 people coming through and had a bad show and I have done shows where 5 people show and had a good show. I don't know that it really matters the volume but whether people are buying what you are selling.

Posted at 10:56am Nov 30, 2012 EST

This makes my head spin. :)

Posted at 1:51pm Nov 30, 2012 EST

Anita from sweetpeapurses says
This makes my head spin. :)
-----------------------------------------

Exactly why I never bother to question it. :)
Just have fun. People will buy or they wont. You can't put solid statistics to it. :P

Posted at 5:11pm Nov 30, 2012 EST