Materials: fruits and vegetables, paper, watercolor illustrations
A "Living Now Award" winning guide for teachers, parents, and community gardeners wanting to preserve children's senses of wonder through artistic gardening and botany experiences. A full color large format 180 page book printed regionally, this guide hold true to the values it advocates!
Peppered with anecdotes and friendly advice, while based in research and experience, Wings, Worms, and Wonder answers this question. Above and beyond gardening guidance on topics such as composting and organic pest control, it gives adults with newly green thumbs the tools to reconnect themselves and the children in their lives to the natural world through holistic gardening experiences. It will ignite your confidence to create outdoor learning experiences that nurture both wonder and ecological literacy.
Overflowing with tips for successfully gardening with children in school and community settings, as well as including 36 child tested lesson plans, you’ll find everything you need to seamlessly integrate gardening into both elementary curricula and daily life. Rooted in scientific and arts based Nature-Study and progressive education models, this guide is invaluable for anyone wanting to grow a thriving children’s gardening program. This book will inspire and equip you to sprout a happier, healthier generation of children!
That’s all great, but what will this book actually do for you?! Lots!!
1. Provide you with 40 lesson and project plans that integrate garden and nature activities across math, science, language, writing, and history/cultural subject areas
2. Provide you with regionally specific tips, suggestions, and advice for growing successful gardens year round (including what to do with a school garden in the summer)
3. Provide you with the theoretical framework from which school gardening and gardening with children outside the home originated
4. Provide you with the philosophy and methods of the Nature-study Movement and how they relate to the current educational theories and practices of Montessori, Steiner, and Sobel’s place-based education methods
5. Provide you with the developmental psychology, educational theory and method, and the historical background and integrative practices needed to “sell” or justify the importance of school gardening, outdoor learning, place connection, and educating for ecological literacy to city councils, school administrations, or parent groups.
6. Provide you with hundreds of print, online, and supply resources for adults and children divided by subject category
7. Provide you with a passcode to the website’s book owners Garden Party page where you will find 4 bonus lesson plans, PDF downloads of all the book’s research masters and patterns, an expanded table of contents, a PDF easy to use format compilation of the first year’s Wonder Wednesday Lesson plans from the blog, inspiring garden planning PDF fun sheets, and access to the Wings, Worms, and Wonder Garden Party private Facebook group and Pinterest board!!
8. This book will be an ally that will help you boost your confidence and skill set for gardening with children, growing vegetables, connecting youth with place and the natural world, and integrating holistic creative outdoor experiences into children’s lives everyday!
9. Spark your wonder and love for the natural world through it’s full color and fully illustrated format, conversational style, and environmentally responsible and animal friendly printing process!
10. Help you plant the seeds for a future generation of nature lovers who know how to “grow their own” and have an unshakeable commitment to preserving the beauty and biodiversity of our natural world!
*** $10.00 USPS Priority Flat Rate Shipping cost is included in the price.**
*****If you live outside the united states I recommend you order from the link to save a HUGE amount on shipping. Order here: https://www.createspace.com/6558963 ****
There was a problem calculating your shipping. Please try again.
25 reviews0 out of 5 stars
A wonderful resource for my room and team. The layout and pictures are very helpful. Great job!
I was delightfully surprised with all the unique ideas in this book. Turn the page and there is yet another very engaging activity for a child to not only connect with nature, but to create and preserve. Kelly's illustrations are so inspiring and she also gives an amazing amount of scientific and natural history information to enhance every project. This book is way beyond my expectations. A "must" for the Outdoor Classroom!
Love, love, love your materials!! Thank you for all your hard work!!!
If I could give this more than 5 stars I would! This is an excellent resource for our school garden program. It contains valuable information on how to get children to slow down and observe nature while learning the important process of gardening. Connecting the garden to the classroom is easier with the lessons and examples in this book, it's worth every penny!
Journal Prompt Card deck, Nature connection, oracle, inspiration, journaling, creativity, art journal, photography, pouches, drawstring
$54.00 FREE shipping
1 Hour Garden Consultation, by phone or video chat, gardening, school gardening, backyard, children's gardening, vegetables, fruits, help
Nature Journal Prompt Cards, oracle, inspiration, decks, Montessori, nature connection, journaling, creativity, children, school
$60.00 FREE shipping
Wonder and Wander: An Early Childhood Nature Connection Guide, preschool, kids, art, children, crafts, homeschool, Montessori, outdoor, play
$40.00 FREE shipping
Pressed: An Herbarium Inspired Art Journal, pressing flowers, nature, flora, craft, books, summer, spring
$20.00 FREE shipping