Announcement Textile-art, Quirky soft sculptures & colourful wool accessories. Designed and handmade by Julia Laing. Worldwide shipping from the UK.
Textile-art, Quirky soft sculptures & colourful wool accessories. Designed and handmade by Julia Laing. Worldwide shipping from the UK.
Alison Chase on Nov 10, 2016
As joyful and charming as ever- thank you!!!
heather denness on Aug 19, 2016
LUV this range of creatures and this wee perfect kitten is no exception. In colours of subtle pink/neutrals with vibrant prink pro-poms for adornment on front, simply GORGEOUS. EXEMPLARY crafted as always and saying BIG thank u. xx
Textile treats to brighten everyday
For as long as I can remember I've enjoyed art and making things much more than anything else!
I studied painting at art college but it took a while for my dream of running my own business as an artist and craft-maker to materialise. Over the last few years I'm happy that this dream has been fulfilled. My work has sold in shops, galleries, at craft fairs and online. Both at home in the UK and internationally.
I enjoy creating whimsical, playful designs which can be appreciated by a wide age range. Small animals are frequent subjects. Cats too, are a constant source of inspiration. Trying to recreate their coy or snooty expressions in thread keeps me endlessly amused.
Simple, uncomplicated styles and shapes appeal to me, as do the relationships between colours. I am fascinated by the way colour can instantly evoke a feeling or mood.
Fabrics themselves are hugely influential on my design process. I particularly love bold prints from the 1950s & 60s.
Sustainability is also a consideration, which is why most of the fabrics I work with are pre-used. My brooches and purses for example, are made from recycled pure wool jumpers, which can be found in a wide array of shades and have the added benefit of being very hard-wearing.
Owner, Maker, Designer, Curator
I'm Julia Laing. I work full-time as a designer / craft-maker. I work mostly with textiles, making a variety of colourful accessories, quirky ornamental creatures and artworks. Each piece is individually handmade in the workroom at my home.
- Each item you find here has been made by me from scratch, from design, right through to the finished article.
- Often my pieces are 'one of a kind' and my purse and accessory designs tend to be made in very limited editions -- you can rest assured that a purchase from materialised will be something very rare, if not completely unique.
- I like to use an eclectic mix of fabrics. I love silk, vintage prints, and lots of colour. Recycling is very important to me too, and I use repurposed fabrics wherever possible.
Accepted payment methods
- Accepts Etsy gift cards
- Other Method
- All prices are shown in GB £ but your currency will be automatically converted.
- I accept Etsy gift cards.
- Your order will be sent by Royal Mail first class.
- I obtain a certificate of posting.
- If you would prefer a signed-for service or insurance added please contact me beforehand so I can upgrade the delivery to include the extra cost.
OUTSIDE THE UNITED KINGDOM
- I ship worldwide.
- I send by airmail and obtain a certificate of posting.
- Airmail parcel typically take 10-14 days to arrive, although can take longer.
- If you prefer added insurance or a signed for service please ask beforehand so I can update the postal costs to include the extra costs.
- Please be aware that there may be additional import duties to pay in some countries outside Europe, which are not under my control.
- It is the buyer's responsibility to inform themselves of their own countries customs policy and to pay these taxes when they are due.
- Once you've placed an order I will take it to the Post office within 48 hours (usually within 24)
- Custom made orders will take longer to dispatch. The item listing will state the expected dispatch time.
- Your order will not normally be tracked.
- If you require tracking please ask before you buy so I can upgrade the postage charge to include the extra costs.
- If your parcel has not arrived within 30 days (40 days for USA and other countries outside Europe) please contact me to arrange a refund or credit.
Refunds and Exchanges
If for any reason you are not, please contact me and I'll do my best to help.
BUY WITH CONFIDENCE!
- You may return your purchases within 14 days of receiving them for a full refund.
- Refunds will be issued within 14 days of the goods being received back in good, clean, unused condition.
- The buyer is responsible for the cost of returning items.
*Made to order and customised items are non-returnable.
Additional policies and FAQs
I am not currently taking any wholesale orders, thanks for your understanding.